Nubee to everything

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
v737d
TOA Membership Number: 770
Years Owned: Own a 1966 Standard T

Nubee to everything

Postby v737d » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:00 pm

Howdy,

My name is Chris. I just bought (along with my brother) a 1966 T. She is a standard going off of the VIN. Just had a respray in Florida before we bought her. She still has some cosmetic as well as a few mechanical issues to deal with, nothing earth shattering though.

I hope to make this a rolling resto. By that I mean keep her on the road and when it is time to replace rear shocks (for an example) I will remove the whole rear axle. Then deal with the slight surface rust, new bushings etc, repaint and then re-install. Things like that.

I am new to Oldsmobile and GM for that matter. I have always had Mopars and Fords, with an odd Land Rover in there.

I have few questions up front, I hope you don't mind.

Is Fusick a good company to deal with for parts? They have a very nice catalog with enough parts to make me drool.

Also I want a full factory service manual. I have seen service manuals and also Fisher body manuals. Do I need both? I am used to everything being in one book in the past.

Looking forward to the madness

Chris
Attachments
T-1.jpg
T-1.jpg (133.18 KiB) Viewed 12449 times
The oxen are slow but the Earth is patient

lorne6667
TOA Membership Number: 622
Years Owned: 1966 toronado standard
1967 toronado deluxe

Re: Nubee to everything

Postby lorne6667 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:39 am

welcome.
nice car, i wonder what you paid for that.
i live near fusick and have delt with them,yes are they good to do business with, i suggest you get both manuals, shop and fisher body manual.
enjoy your toronado, be patient some things you need may be hard to find.
lorne..

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:24 pm

Welcome! I agree completely with Lorne on both counts. Get both manuals and Fusick is wonderful to work with (even when problems arise!).

Keep us updated on your progress!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

v737d
TOA Membership Number: 770
Years Owned: Own a 1966 Standard T

Postby v737d » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks for the replies! FYI, we paid 4500 for the car and another 750 to have it shipped to TX. Probably overpaid a bit but she is oh-so-cool!

Needs a good interior cleaning. Combo of cigar/cigarett residue, deteriorated dash insulation and possible salt. Has a new headliner and seat covers and new non stock carpet.

Thanks again,now off to order one of everything from Fusick!

Cheers

Chris
The oxen are slow but the Earth is patient

lorne6667
TOA Membership Number: 622
Years Owned: 1966 toronado standard
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:00 pm

hey chris,
that's not too much to pay as long as the car is complete,running and working properly.
i bought my 66 for 1200, the car was nice with recent paint job of medium quality, the body work underneath i expect the same.
the biggest problem with the car was the NASTY interior and most of the trim and scripts where missing.
for me that was part of the fun rounding all the stuff up, with interior i located and all missing trim i figure i spent another grand.
if you have to replace dash pads i wish you luck finding them and offer a pc. of advise.
take your time with that it's a royal pain in the butt, also if you have a rotted cowl now would be the time to fix it.

my 67 i got for 2000 and is a real nice car,the interior is near mint.
the body and paint work was done in the mid 90's and is showing some age but still cleans up well.
this car i had to have drive axels and brakes done costing another grand, but this car also had a new complete exhaust system.

one of these days i'll get some pics up on here, the two side by side is a beautiful site.

enjoy,lorne

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Postby janeg » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 am

We'll be looking forward to those pictures, Lorne! And congratulations Chris on your acquisition.
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Return to “Introductions”