NEW TO FORUM

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
lorne6667
TOA Membership Number: 622
Years Owned: 1966 toronado standard
1967 toronado deluxe

NEW TO FORUM

Postby lorne6667 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 am

hello, i'm lorne, new to forum, have been TOA member nearly 2 years.
i own a 66 standard toro and a 67 deluxe.
i bought the 66 for 1200 bucks,it's gold, recent repaint with little time spent on prep.
looks good unless you get to really looking.
the interior was TRASH.
i have located entire interior and replaced,it is now black deluxe interior, just need to do headliner.
this car had an original TFD tire on painted rim,looks to have never been used.
aside from the interior issues i had to locate and install most exterior trim, i have yet to install rocker trim.
engine bay was just nasty, painted gold and some "playschool blue".
got correct engine paint from fusick and corrected that.
car had all new tires on chrome wheels, now on my 67.
also had new brakes and drive axles.

now the 67.
this car is a white deluxe with black vinyl top, black and blue cloth interior, mint aside from some seperated seams on the headliner and could use new carpet.
this car is loaded, unlike the 66 which is a stripper(non a/c).
from what i know,the car came from topeka kansas to connecticut in 1994 with a fresh body resto.
one really cool option is the factory tinted windows,from what understand this is rare.
this car is currently my driver,it runs and drives good, i had brakes and drive axles done just after getting it home.
this car i found on craigslist for 2 grand, a little work and alot of rubbing it looks pretty nice.
have some rust and bond "popping" here and there, but overall it is a very solid car .
had to locate a correct #'s carb, got a nice one for sparky to rebuild when i can afford it.
currently there is a rebuilt out of box junker that i actually traced #'s to a 71 4 speed chevy.
there is no rod for switch pitch, i have a rod to install with carb when time comes.
soon i will provide some pic's.

it's funny,up until a couple years ago i've seen only 2 or 3 of these cars in my whole life, now i have 2 in my garage. i never intended to by a second one,was actually looking for an old van, lost a bidding war on ebay for a 70 econoline,that was a home converted camper used only for duck hunting,,it was real cool.
then i came across the 67 and for the price just had to rescue it.
i look at both of these babies as a preservation project for the long term.
the 66 i have decided to RAT ROD , i have some ideas that i think will be cool,comments on that idea are welcome.
thanks, lorne :ugeek:

gearhead840
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: NEW TO FORUM

Postby gearhead840 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 am

hello, I am building a 66 toro. I am upgrading to front disc brakes from a 68 toro. I am planning to install the complete rear air suspension (junkyard) from a 1995 cadillac with disc brakes in my Toro. I am looking for a cheap (junkyard) electronic distributor. I have heard that HEI distributors hace clearance issues. Planned future mods will include suicide doors with shaved handles and a mild all steel cowl style hood scoop to provide clearance for an aluminum intake. I also hope to adapt a throttle body injection system from a 454 truck motor (junkyard). I dont think the computer will know the difference between the chev and the olds. Anyone know where I can get a camshaft and some .921 lifters?

lorne6667
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:13 am

i have an HEI distributor on my 67 and yes there are clearance issues.
the air cleaner does not quite clear the cap and wires, it does fit but it looks cheap and
the the plug wires are a bit pinched.
i have the distributor correct to the car to install using petronix ignition.
i put petronix on a 74 cutlass i had, it's an easy install and yes it does work good.

gearhead840
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby gearhead840 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:07 pm

thanks for the HEI info. air cleaner issues were what i expected. I am interested in your ideas for a rat rod 66 toro. I really want to cut the hood and install a blower, but thats a few dollars off. A steel cowl hood will do for now. For me putting the whole thing on the ground is important with the back a little lower than the front. I think i am going to paint the bumpers body color. maybe chrome the louvers below the rear window. what are your plans?

lorne6667
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 pm

my plans for rat rod toro to remove door handles and replace with handles from a 69 grand prix,add rear quarter marker lights(olds rockets used on 68,69).
do a custom headliner with matching seat covers,paint flat black with pin stripes and maybe do some marbelized paint on cowl and interior trim.
these plans are far off as i'm still bringing my 66 to it's original state.
the only reason i plan to ratrod it is because it'll never be a candidate for a correct restoration.
my 67 is a much better car and can be easily done right.
look for pics of both cars(as soon as i figure out how to load em')
thanks,lorne

lorne6667
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 am

lorne6667
1967 toronado deluxe

Postby lorne6667 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:11 am

wonderful, it's the whole edit page.
ohh well, here's my toros!

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 pm

lorne6667 wrote:http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/zz167/baileystoros/

i hope this worked!

Nice cars! I can't wait to see what you do with them. Keep us posted.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Return to “Introductions”