Looking for a Toro

Introduce yourself and your car(s) here!
greg
TOA Membership Number: 729
Years Owned: 66-70 (looking, would like to own)

Looking for a Toro

Postby greg » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Hello fellow Toronado enthusiasts!
I am one of the few members of the association who does not own a Toronado. Yet! But still actively looking for a first generation to preserve, protect, show and enjoy.
While I am a great fan of the 66-70 Toronado, I am not by any means a great mechanic. Would love to have any feedback and advice from others regarding availability of parts, whether these cars can be kept in running order through regular mechanics, availability of easily-replaced parts such as headlights, bulbs, hoses, tires, whatever....
To me, the 66-70 Toronado is the most beautiful automobile ever produced, so I very much want to own one again (had a 67 years ago).
Any advice from you owners would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you want to sell one in you collection.....do let me know!!!!
Greg Case
caseytoonz@comporium.net
803-802-0617

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: Looking for a Toro

Postby toro_mike » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Welcome Casey! Good to have another person who loves these cars within our ranks. It does take a certain type of person to get into Toronados, as they were and are unlike anything of their time. Basic tune up parts are widely available as the 425 / 455 motors and TH425 (just a Turbo 400 anyway) transmissions were widely used. Tires are fairly easy as well, as long as the tire shop knows how to mount the tire to the rim. The extreme offset can cause problems for the machines from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong). It depends what year you go with, but an example of something really difficult is the disk brakes in '68 was a one year only configuration. I'm sure others will have their issues, but this is a start.

Good luck with your search! I hope you find a good fit soon!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Stubbe
TOA Membership Number: 173

Re: Looking for a Toro

Postby Stubbe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 pm

Mike AKA Stubbe

TOA 173
1966 Deluxe