Considering a '66 Toronado

Here you will find information for new users about the forum. Items include general forum usage tips and tricks.
pipedreamer66
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Base

Considering a '66 Toronado

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:28 pm

Hello, just stumbled across the forum looking for information in regards to a '66 Toronado I'm considering. It needs a lot of love but runs and drives sort of and a little rougher than some I've seen. The only reason why I'm considering it is because, the car is located approximately 60 miles from me. The seller, is a little high price wise comparing to other cars. I guess we'll all see how this plays out and if the seller don't sell the car as of this weekend or will deal on the price.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Considering a '66 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:42 pm

How much is "a lot of love" ?

Trim and interior parts are difficult to find but not totally impossible. Most mechanical parts are available.

Check the vacuum operated headlights. If anything is missing, it will be difficult to replace. Somewhere on this forum is a post detailing a conversion to electric rams from the vac system.

Look for rust in the rear body/frame mounting area.

If the car needs a lot of work and you can afford to wait for one that costs more and needs less, do so.

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello, when I stated "a lot of love" I mean that the car could be a decent driver. Just from observations there's a lot of bad about the car. As you can there is some rust. There was some rust in the rear panels and has been patched but, not very good. It looks good for a driver but, don't know how much bondo is in the quarter panels. Just from my observations, here's the following of what the car needs:

1) Front & rear seat covers
2) Complete Weather Stripping also include the trunk seal
3) 4 Shocks
4) Headliner
5) Carpet
6) Engine Gaskets
7) Front Brakes as a cylinder was leaking
8) Sending Unit
9) Clock Repaired
10) Headlights repaired
11) Driver's side mirror
12) Headlights don't pop up
13 A/C doesn't work
14) Needs new drain tubes for the rear cowl

The things he claims he has done to the car is a new water pump and flush the system. Supposedly rebuilt the carburetor, put a new windshield in, and newer (used) tires. He wants around $5k but, honestly I think a $3500 offer is probably fair but, still too high for a car that runs and drives at least. Thoughts?

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 pm

Here's some pictures to show what I'm talking about. The car is a base model with no tilt, cruise, or power windows.
Attachments
tor3.jpg
tor3.jpg (171.05 KiB) Viewed 24131 times
tor4.jpg
tor4.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 24131 times
torheadliner.jpg
torheadliner.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 24131 times
tor1.jpg
tor1.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 24131 times

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:59 pm

Rust bubble on the trunk. The car originally came from California but, has been here in the Midwest for a few years. It's pretty solid but, still I don't know.
Attachments
tor5.jpg
tor5.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 24131 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm assuming you can do a lot of the repairs yourself. Even so, that's easily $5000 worth of love. Then what will you have? A $10,000 driver that still needs work.

I paid $10,000 for my car in 2014 and I use it as a daily driver. It has some flaws but is pretty nice for a $10k car. Everything on it works and worked when I bought it.

I think you could find a nicer one that needs less work or no work for the same price plus the amount of money you'll have to spend to get it close to right.

Trust your gut. If you aren't comfortable taking on a project like this don't do it. I like to drive cars, not restore them. I'll do repairs, improvements, upgrades, etc, while I'm using it but I don't want to buy something that I'll spend more time fixing than driving.

The pictures below were taken the day after I bought it.
Attachments
DSC03924.JPG
DSC03924.JPG (555.67 KiB) Viewed 24128 times
DSC03922.JPG
DSC03922.JPG (376.49 KiB) Viewed 24128 times
DSC03911.JPG
DSC03911.JPG (430.76 KiB) Viewed 24128 times

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:39 am

Upholstery related items aren't a problem. Engine gaskets, not a problem, but you should consider removing the engine and not only replacing the gaskets, but the timing chain and gear. It may well have the old original nylon gear, which will have remnants of the nylon pieces left on the oil pickup tube screen. If you take the engine out, then you should just go ahead and service the tranny. AC system will cost your up to $1000 to repair properly all components and put R-134a in it. THis is where it starts costing some $$$ if you have to do all these items.

The headlights are impossible to diagnose with the info provided. It could simply be a loose vacuum tube. Or the actuators may not be working properly, or the switch on the dash may need service. Probably not too difficult to fix that part of the system. If the clock doesn't work, just leave it for now unless you must have it. To do that, you have to remove the dash panel. It's not horrible, but it is a lot of work. If you do that, you may as well look over and do any repairs needed there.

It seems likely you'll have rust in the trunk and as noted on the rear quarters because of leaky drain pipes from rear window grille, the common problem. Other places that you need to check carefully for rust are the footwell for rear passenger seat, especially behind driver seat (water will collect there with bad seals which this car obviously has). Also, windshields typically can have some leakage in the dash area as the old butyl sealant dries out and leaks. Look carefully there. Othere than the trunk drain area, Toros don't tend to have horrible rust problems.

Don't do more than you really need to do if you decide to get the car; suggest you just fix up minmum and drive/enjoy and begin a fund for future repairs restoration work that you might do in steps if you intend to keep the car and continue repairs.

It's getting more difficult to find cars in extraordinary condition for the price Otto mentions. This seems a fairly average car from the little I've seen of you pictures. If you want something in nicer shape, you'll have to pay more for the car up front. Or pay less for the one you're looking at and plan exactly how you want to deal with it. Old cars stopped getting used and maintained properly because they are --- old. This is not a hobby for making money. It will cost you money one way or another to play. It's usually a game of pay now or pay later. So choose your route that you want to go. These are great cars when they are running right and you can't go wrong that way. You'll be the only one at the car show with one.

Good luck.

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 am

Thank you everyone. I've already been pricing out parts and it's adding up pretty quick. The reason why I'm considering the car is that it is fairly close to me which involves no shipping from out of state plus, the other positive is that I was able to lay eyes on the car. If the seller would work on price then I would probably consider the car despite the work. And this also hinges if the seller doesn't sell the car within the next few days.

Also, thank you for confirming some of the potential repairs I'm facing with the Toronado in the future. I'll have to ask and see if he done the timing chain which he didn't probably. Anyways, we'll see what happens. Again, thank you everyone for the information and help.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:32 am

Here is a car with an asking price of $12,000.

Other than the painted black bumpers and grill, and missing taillight chrome, it seems to be reasonably sound and complete. It even has working headlights. I'm not sure if that's a floor mat over the carpet in the front or if it's in place of carpet. Pretty weird looking.

Anyway it might help you gauge value of the car you're looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Oldsmobile ... 1438.l2649

Here's a video of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eTsCLfRxF8

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:01 am

Here's a Buyer's Guide video from Hagerty Insurance. He even gives a plug to the Toronado Owners Association.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_uIzzPhF4c

Return to “New Members Information”