Considering a '66 Toronado

Here you will find information for new users about the forum. Items include general forum usage tips and tricks.
pipedreamer66
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Base

Re: Considering a '66 Toronado

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:28 am

Thank you all. The seller would take $4300. What do other board members think? I think 4k is top dollar but, still a little high. Additional thoughts?

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:57 am

Will you be doing the majority of the work or will you be paying shops to do it?

If you are capable of doing a restoration and want to do it, then go for it. As Doc said, will cost a lot of money and a lot of time. If you would rather drive your car than work on it, wait for a better example to come along.

As Doc also said, one thing ALWAYS leads to another. Even if you plan to repair one thing, the surrounding parts and systems generally get caught up in the process and you end up doing a lot more than you planned.

Personally, I would take the money you intend to spend fixing it, add it to the $4300 and look for a car in that price range. What's the top dollar you want to spend on repairs and restoration?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:00 pm

There are 9 '66s on Hemmings including one for $6000 in Stockton, CA from a guy named Chuck. Is that the one you're considering?

Here are a couple at reasonable prices.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 09721.html

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 12653.html

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello to answer some of your questions. It would be a mix of both with regards to work on the car. The bigger stuff I would have shops do it or at least that is the plan. I could deal without the AC for a while. As far as what my top dollar would be for restoring the car? I'm not sure not with regards to the dollar amount. I would fixing things as need be. My first attention would be finishing up the brakes. He installed a new brake booster/master cylinder on the car so that's a plus. The rest I'll do over time and as money allows. The car isn't a need to me as I have two other classics (three if you count the wife's) not including the daily drivers. He wants $4300 but, my top dollar is $4k.

He's had the car for sale for a year and he has six other classic cars so that's his reason for selling. He originally started at $7k on this car. If he can't come down $300 or even $500 then its a no deal. I asked him about the timing chain and brought that to his attention. Some of the stuff I'll fix over time. As for the car its here in the Midwest but, spent most of its life in Lakeside, California which is near San Diego. From there the car went to IL where it was pulled out of a barn a few years ago. I looked at the paperwork to confirm this cars history.

With this Toronado he had another 66 Toronado but, it was a lot rougher and was a parts car. Other than the once rusty quarters, everything looks solid as far as the bones are concerned other than what I've mentioned. I figure I'd just run this by the board as a sound of reason. I did find some other Toronados for sale about 200-400 miles away. Here's a listing for a few of them which include a couple of '67s. Sorry for the long post.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/cto/ ... 99574.html

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/d/196 ... 92987.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/ ... 20734.html
(This one looks good for the price but, the shipping adds another $1k or so.)

Anyways, giving it some more thought. Thank you again.

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm

I'll add a picture of the engine bay.
Attachments
torengine.jpg
torengine.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 26821 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 pm

What are your other cars? I'm glad you're not considering this car as your first foray into collector cars. You obviously aren't looking at this car with rose colored glasses.

My car is a DeLuxe but the ac was deleted by the original purchaser. I have ac in the Cadillac and virtually never use it because I love driving with all the windows down. You'll definitely be happy driving the car whether the ac works or not.

Does this car have the Comfortron climat control? That can be a real PITA to sort out if its not working.

I've never owned a modern car. The newest vehicle I own today is a 1979 ford pickup. The '56 Coupe deVille was my only car for 11 years until I bought the Toronado. Now they share daily duty. I'll most likely be driving the Toronado to San Antonio, TX next year (I live in Atlanta) since it's that car's turn for a long drive. Ironically its to attend the Cadillac Grand Nationals.

Looking at your links, the red one for $6000 appears to be in better shape overall. You'd have to see it in person to confirm but for an additional $2k you may be saving yourself a lot of money in the long run. That's the cost of your a/c alone in the gold one.

Even the white one looks a lot better for not much more money (although the front bumper is bent). Regarding the headlights; the driver's light on my car wouldn't go down all the way when I bought it. It turned out to be a disconnected vacuum line at the "T" underneath the vac reservoir.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Overall, this 66 Toro looks in pretty standard condition looking at the engine compartment. It doesn't have Comfortron, so it's easier to get all the heater/AC system back up and running -- not as complicated. THere's and extra vacuum ballast tank or the one on the car has been removed, or its' the one out of the car (goes in that front corner). So clearly vacuum lights, etc are not going to work. Overall, not seeing a lot of other things ont he car, I generally would offer less money for something like this. I probably wouldn't go much more than $2800 myself, unless it's a running/stopping car. But that's based on just a few pictures and what you say. If he's tried selling it for over a year, you can get him to lower the price -- he may have to chew on it for a while. If you could get the car started and hear the engine and how that's running, that would be best. But generally, these Oldsmobile engines are some of the very best that GM made. Reliable when maintained properly, and strong running. This car doesn't have much in the way of peculiar options, so that keeps away the headaches. Regarding the headlights, if necessary, you can always do a conversion to an electric actuator, and there are several that will help you here, but probalby you can get the vacuum system back up to working condition with a little care. Looking at this engine, it looks to be in pretty much original condition. Down the road before too long, you'll need to get the timing chain/gear changed. I'll hazard a guess that you should get the quadrajet rebuilt quickly as well if you get the car. Those old ones tend to leak gas (unless they've been properly rebuilt). That could be an engine fire hazard (my 67 had that happen as had many others).

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Hello everyone, this would be my first GM if I were to get this Toronado down the road. The other cars are a 1979 Chrysler Cordoba with 360 4bbl and 1991 Lincoln Mark VII with 49k original miles. I've been mainly a Mopar person but, like other makes as well. Many years ago I almost bought a 70 Toronado GT (W34) out a classic car yard in Minot, ND. I'm not sure if the yard is around still.

To clarify this Toronado here locally is a running driving car. The seller claims he rebuilt the carburetor on the car along with cleaned out the fuel tank and some other items without any receipts. I can tell the brake booster and master cylinder not in this picture were replaced. Yes, the car does run and drive. The worst part is a leaky wheel cylinder on the passenger side front. The other thing I will tell the seller did was do an amateur paint job on the gold Toronado. So it has been repainted but, with cheaper paint probably like an "Omni" brand paint you can get from NAPA or to be able to purchase. The front and rear windows were resealed as well. I hope this clarifies some additional items.

As for holding out, I'm holding out regardless. After this Toronado, I fell in love with it. I've always found these cars cool IMO and have lusted for a while. I'm still giving this all some thought and waiting to see if the stars align for me. If they don't, then it is what it is. Thank you again.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Good luck. I'd consider some of the others out there but if you have your heart set on this one, I hope it all works out for you.

'91 Lincoln? That's a new car! Just about the same for the Chrysler.

If the ignition switch isn't on the dashboard, it's too new!

pipedreamer66

Postby pipedreamer66 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:32 am

Thank you Otto. I do and I don't with this car even though my statement probably doesn't make sense. I'll keep my eye peeled on Craigslist and eBay as well which I have been doing now. Thank you again.

Return to “New Members Information”