1968 W34 Engine

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xg413
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1967 Chevelle Malibu

Re: 1968 W34 Engine

Postby xg413 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:03 pm

No evidence of grinding whatsoever - just an unstamped pad. I will try to get the filler tube out to Check the number next time. I will see what the owner wants for the complete engine. And yes, I have a '67 Cutlass Supreme my dad bought new that would be the eventual home of that Toro engine. ;)

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:04 am

By any chance is this the junkyard down by Calloway Gardens?

xg413
1967 Chevelle Malibu

Postby xg413 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:03 am

Perhaps ;)

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:21 pm

I've been there a couple times. The Peach State Cadillac and LaSalle club went down there on a field trip and plundered the numerous 50s Cadillacs on both lots. I went back and got some stuff from a '64 Galaxie 500 too.

Many of the cars look like they were driven and parked in place or showed up with minor body damage. None of them are smashed up wrecks. It's amazing.

A friend of mine actually saw the '57 Buick Cabillero in operating condition in the 1980s. It's a worthless heap now. The old geezer that owns the place is one of those hoarders who never wants to sell anything.

His asking price on complete cars was so outrageous that nobody would buy the cars that were usable as-is or easily restorable. Now, everything has turned to piles of rust suitable only for stainless steel trim and miscellaneous accessories, etc.

Too bad.

Where do you live XG? I'm in Atlanta.

Here are a couple more shots of the extremely rare Kaiser Manhattan in your photo. I don't even have pics of the Toro but I remember it. What a waste.

Even now the owner will not allow anybody to buy parts from, get this, any of the dozen or so Yugos on the lot! He's thinks they're the Faberge` Eggs of cars. What a bone head!
Attachments
DSC02058.JPG
DSC02058.JPG (83.6 KiB) Viewed 16270 times
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02057.JPG (67.98 KiB) Viewed 16270 times

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Folks you'll have to forgive me, I just don't get it, what is the fascination with toro 425/455 motors, 88/98's with big block are everywhere, is there some mastic that surrounds the toro blocks, the block doesn't know where it’s going when it come off the engine machining line.
It gets it pistons (low/high compression) stuffed down their holes crank set in then things start to get serious - depending on application its cam and heads, small -v-big valve, lifters and push rods, rockers and pivots along with its intake valve covers and pan all buttoned up in neat little package.
And it still doesn’t know where it’s going (the paper work may say) but the block neither knows nor care where it going. Olds FAQ’s on 442.com has a lengthy explanation as to why get a toro motor and that’s fine FAQ also describe the point of getting an F1 block too. This F code found on the back of the block and is describes the advantages as (rumored to have more nickel content) for a stronger block, is that is it?
Okay, how is the decision made to apply that code to a given block? Keeping in mind of course these are sand cast blocks. The sand molds are made in most cases from wood patterns that are separable. Those patterns contain the year in large digits on the back of the along with the F-code as well as the block casting number at the top front of the block. So how in the world can anyone say for sure that an F-1 have any serious different in metallurgy than and F-3 or F-5. Given that that GM employed a CFD /central foundry division presumably for use by all five divisions.
One does not come into work and say Ok let’s pour some blocks today! Pouring never stops it’s not something that is turned off and on like a light switch, once started it’s a continuing process with material being added to caldron as needed, so to specially call out when its time to add a given additive (such as nickel) to the mix so that it will arrive at specific mold with F1 code is simply impossible. Not to mention after the pour the curing/seasoning time of the block is enormous in some cases may not find its way into a car for almost a year.
All of this brings me back to original question or point …. if 442’s didn’t need or come with a Toro motor what’s all of the hoopla about acquiring one for a ‘A’ body in the first place?
It’s puzzling that’s all.
Now for a disclaimers or two … I personally don’t care what folks do with their cars or in any of the pursuits of their happiness is none of my business, also those that have taken the time to bring us Olds FAQ’s have done far reaching service for Old enthusiasts.
Bill
TOA #1

xg413
1967 Chevelle Malibu

Postby xg413 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:39 pm

Otto,

I live less than ten miles from that yard. Trying to find a time when the owners are there is the issue. I learned this past week that the old man died in January - his two sons are usually there on the weekends. When I talked to him in the summer of '12, he was willing to sell stuff other than whole cars. He gave a great price for the Toro engine, but I am going to see if his son would honor that. He told me he had closed his yard for almost 25 years. During that time, thieves stole radiators from many of the cars. The Toro was not spared. In addition to the Yugos, he loved collecting Geo Metros.

69W34 - Those two Toros (a '68 and a '69) in his yard are the ONLY BBO's he has that I recall. He does have an older F/S Olds that would likely have a 394. He had a '65 Jetstar that had a 330, but it is no longer there. I also saw '58 Olds in fairly decent shape with the hood closed, but that would likely be a 371. I just saw an opportunity to get a BBO for my Cutlass - it was not imperative that it come from a Toro. :D

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:06 pm

xg413 ... hey I get it here man I'm cool, its just something I have wrangled with for years so nothing new on that front.

I would ask in addition to the air cleaner and fender mounted piece, is the hose and hose end that attaches to the fender pieces anyplace close by if so it might be items worth retrieving.
Bill
TOA #1

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi XG,

Yes, it was just a couple years ago that the old man, with the help of some college kid, began selling parts. This was mainly due to his son, Micky losing his job and needing money. The kid put a bunch of inventory on the web, printed business cards, and contacted old car clubs and enthusiasts.

Did you ever see the old man and his son together? Micky, who looks about 65 was scared shitless by the old man. The old guy would order him around like he was a 10 year old kid and Micky wasn't allowed to make decisions about how much to charge.

You had to haul all the stuff you plucked from cars up to the old man's tarp/lean-to setup and then let him take a gander at the pile and give you a price. Generally pretty reasonable, though.

Now that Micky is calling the shots I think it will be easier for people to get whatever they need.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Bill, I think you're right about the blocks.

I think you should post that explanation on the Olds site and kill that old urban legend. It's a myth that never dies, just like the 80mpg carburetor.

xg413
1967 Chevelle Malibu

Postby xg413 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Otto,

Yes, Mickey and Mitch (the two sons) are running the yard on the weekends. Mitch has a smaller yard a couple of miles away. He is trying to consolidate everything at the bigger yard. Mitch told me I would have to talk to Mickey about prices. Mitch said he was sick lately, so I will give him a week or so before I call him. I only saw the old man by himself. Sharp as a tack and knew everything he had in the yard, where it was and when it came in. He sold my friend a window regulator off an old non-Olds for $25.

Return to “General Talk”