What do you use for Windshield wiper blades?

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

What do you use for Windshield wiper blades?

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:41 am

Well, my '66 has some pretty old blades on the wipers. But, I don't want to replace them, because they look good :P They're stainless (aluminum?) still, and they match everything else on the car. The new ones I find in shops are all black, and most of them that aren't cheapies are pretty bulky.

I have those fancy Rain-X blades that just bend without pivot points on my other 3 cars, and they work fantastic, but I think they'd look silly on my Toro. I realize I could probably just buy some of the cheepies and take the actual blade portion off and swap it into the original units, but I was wondering if there was something out there that might be better?

Thanks.
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: What do you use for Windshield wiper blades?

Postby xgecko » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:59 am

I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 am

My blades don't quite match each other though :P It's not really obvious, but they're different. I suppose I could pick up some from the salvage yard I got my clock from... There's not much left of those toro's, but I'm sure the wiper blades are still there.

I'm surprised there's not someone out there manufacturing "Vintage" style wiper blades. Or chrome ones, or something... I mean, they make everything else for old cars >_>
TOA #839

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:23 pm

You remind me of when I first turned on the wipers in my 69... they seemed so small! :o

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Well, I might pick up a set of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiper-Bl ... ccessories

But, I wish I could find another one like one of the two I have. It's beautiful, and simple :P maybe i'm being too picky
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:32 pm

You look into a refill? Are they unavailable for that unit? Just a thought... ;)

Twilight Fenrir
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:32 pm

xgecko wrote:You look into a refill? Are they unavailable for that unit? Just a thought... ;)

I got the refills for the time being, but my blades are mis-matched. One is the pretttiest i've ever seen, and the other is about as ugly as i've ever seen
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:09 am

Oops. I missed that. :oops: You did make it pretty clear in a earlier post... :?

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Postby janeg » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:49 am

Twillight, as a member you are entitled to a free 40 word ad in the magazine. I would expect that there are members with parts cars that have good wipers.
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Return to “General Talk”