Almost on the road...

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Almost on the road...

Postby xgecko » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Things are moving along now and all I need to do is finish installing the new exhaust and set the initial timing before I can start the motor for the break-in run. Hope to have it going tomorrow... :shock:

https://picasaweb.google.com/102116096803999165281/Toronado?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

1970w34
TOA Membership Number: 38
Years Owned: 1970 multiple

Re: Almost on the road...

Postby 1970w34 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Looks great! Is that a Rockwell intake? What carb? Hood clearance issues?

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Indeed it is a Rockwell manifold along with the Edelbrock Aluminum heads.

Not sure yet about hood clearance, and the carb is a BBC Q-Jet with electric choke necessitated by the Rockwell Intak which has no heat crossover 8-) .

I may need to use a 2" filter or revert to the original Toro Air Cleaner for now with the three inch unit you see minus the top or, perhaps, with the top. However, if I do this I will have to hack a bit from the back of the Toro Air Cleaner box as it hits the HEI ignition. I may also consider an Air Cleaner housing from a newer 76 or later Toro. Eventually I want to do a really trick Spectre system that will look like this; it may not happen until I do the Fuel Injection:

1970w34
TOA Membership Number: 38
Years Owned: 1970 multiple

Postby 1970w34 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:21 pm

Looks cool--I have all kinds of things swimming in my head too.

I am saving a regular 70 Toronado that I one day hope to "hot rod" including FI, gears and.....turbos! Probably insane but if I ever get all the dough together.... :D

I save my GT's for "restoration".

Is the HEI a better setup than a pertronix?

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:32 am

The HEI is a full Hi Energy Ignition while the Pertronix just eliminates points. If the Pertronix is matched to a standard coil you do not have the Hi Energy aspect which raises the voltage to something like 50K Volts and much higher current if you add an aftermarket module. It is also much more flexible in the long run and with the coil in the cap it saves a bit of space and wiring.

I paid $40 for my distributor - hoping it is as well built as it seems - and so I think it is a much better deal as I can add upgrades over time. I intend to eventually go with some sort of digital ignition system either standalone or based on an EFI controller and using a Capacitive Discharge module.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:35 am

Lookin pretty good man! :D Can't wait to hear how she runs.... Wait, why isn't that aluminum painted slate blue? :P Good luck with the hood clearance. I think that filter is gonna stick up too far...

When I was measuring for an HEI in one of our earlier discussions about the subject, the necessary cutout in the air cleaner housing on the stock one, chopped into where the air filter is inside the housing. Ultimately why I went with the pertronix system. It still kicks out 45,000 volts.

I'd love to do something like that on my '66. I really want to use the eyebrows above the headlights for a cold air induction. I think it'd be really cool to cut out that part in the middle, and add throttle-plates that pivot when you step on the gas, kinda like you see on those rediculous air scoops that stick out of the hood.
TOA #839

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:56 am

I will not be modifying this hood so one way or another I will go with an Air Filter solution that allows me to use the stock hood.

I assume you must have upgraded the coil in your system as the stock coil is only good for about 35K volts or so if that.

It is a bit of a pickle indeed. The 14" air cleaner diameter is not a problem, and I may just go with a 2" filter height to solve the problem. We'll see...

Jimsss
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966

Postby Jimsss » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:34 pm

very cool! that engine will FRY your front tires;)

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:07 am

Indeed. I built one of these more than 25 years ago with the Mondello JM 18/20 cam and this time I used the JM 20/22 which is a bit more aggressive with slightly higher lift and longer duration.

The first car easily fried both tires and I once took her up to 165 at 5,700 RPM. This car should positively smoke them should I be so inclined... but I think I will leave my speed record untouched.

I got her started yesterday and burnished the cam with a 25 minute run at 2,000 to 3,000 rpm. She ran great with only a small oil leak I need to track down. The twin electric fans seemed capable of cooling her adequately so that is good to know.

Should have her on the road later today and will be taking her down to the shop for an alignment and later in the week tires.

Jimsss
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966

Postby Jimsss » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:49 am

Sounds nice, please let us know how everything turns out:)

And you seem to be the guy to ask....

If I want more power in my 1966, would the Edelbrock heads and
the intake you have bolt on tio my 425? There is something about
the 1966 Toro engine, Evrewhere I look for cams etc it says : Not Toronado
Are we limited when it comes to aftermarket parts?
My car runs very good but I would love to have even more power...
As this is my first Olds I dont know where to start.

sorry to hijack your thread but you really seem to know what your talking about.

thanks

Return to “General Talk”