Got my parts car and it is actually restorarable...

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Got my parts car and it is actually restorarable...

Postby xgecko » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Looked on Craigslist this morning and up on Whidbey Island was a hurt '68 being offered for a whopping $1090 (gotta wonder how people come up with their pricing!).

Turned out to be a decent car in hurt but restorable shape. The front passenger side got hit at some point which trashed the fender and the otherwise extremely nice bumper which explains both why they sold it and why the price was so good. Sellers were a very nice couple in their 50's by my estimate, and as has been my experience so far they want to keep in touch and know what I do to this one and my '69. The kid I bought my '69 from has kept in touch and followed my progress so I am not too surprised.

The car drove home from Whidbey to Gig Harbor with no problems other than somewhat grabby disk brakes - the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes (or so I recall) calipers are quite worn on this 131K mile car according to the seller. Engine burns a bit of oil but I don't really care since it will be rebuilt when the car is restored. Tires were unbalanced and the shocks are tired, but it shifted smoothly and the leaking exhaust still sounded pretty good. Steering was a bit squirrely but truth be told I have not driven these cars for more than 20 years and I am seriously wondering what my '69 will feel like... :shock: Luckily the '69 seems tight when I twitch the wheel in the shop and watch the steering bits move so I am very hopeful it will at least be tight. The massive overcompensation - pinky just touching the wheel and it turns effortlessly - I expect. I hope that a newer vintage Eldorado steering box will help this in the future...

I will first be crazy enough to steal the doghouse and AC lines for my '69 unless I find another parts car by next winter but eventually it will be replaced. I also need the vacuum motor for headlight covers and, strangely enough, the backing plates for the covers themselves. The kid I bought my car from sold the vacuum motor and said the car did not have the backing plates when he got it. The seeminglly flawless center wheel caps are a nice addition to my chrome wheels on the '69 as many of the caps that came with it are dinged up.

The electric window door switch plates and any associated bracketry will be transferred so I can upgrade my manual window car to electric windows, as will the door lock switches be used to provide electric locs. Motors I will buy new.

Hmm... what else. Seriously considering using the transmission for the core of my trans rebuild but might just throw it in for now and wait to do the rebuild next year when the car goes back into the garage for the winter season. The trans that came with my car seems pretty tired and probably has a lot more miles on it. That will also give me time to try to find a '78 core with low miles which seems like the best combination of qualities for a rebuild.

The vinyl top is either perfect or so close I could not see a flaw. All the halo trim is present. Other than the right passenger fender, the bumper, chin valence (or whatever you call the bit under the bumper) and passenger door are the only damaged bits I could see on casual inspection so a restore seems possible.

Now all I need is a pristine '66 and my collection will be complete. Given that such a car will not be cheap it will be the last to happen, so these two will keep me occupied for the next few years. I can't complain. 8-)
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Got my parts car and it is actually restorable...

Postby xgecko » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 am

Pulled off the air cleaner and found an Edelbrock carb under there. Not bad considering I have no real use for the original mechanical choke carbs as I prefer to block off that nasty heat passage especially after seeing how it cooks the oil onto the intake.

There is no question it is a restorable car so it is going into the garage later today if all goes well.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “General Talk”