What are the hardest parts to find?

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
bluecab
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

What are the hardest parts to find?

Postby bluecab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi,
Im looking for a 1st generation car, don't have room for a parts car at present.
If I am looking at barn find / restorable cars what are the parts I should be sure are NOT missing.
Maybe I should ask which parts that might be missing are most expensive?
Thanks, glad to have found this group!

janeg
TOA Membership Number: 42
Years Owned: 1966 Deluxe and 1992 Trofeo

Re: What are the hardest parts to find?

Postby janeg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:08 am

Hi Bluecab, and welcome to the list! I hope you find your car, be sure to check our classifieds.

The list of hard-to-find parts would be pretty extensive, starting with good body panels and frames. The club has been successful in getting some items remanufactured and is working on others. We also are familiar with where to find certain items and servics. Finally, the members with parts cars do help out others.

Complete nice original carbs, the divorced choke coil, turn signal switches of all variations, uncracked steering wheel emblems and throttle cables come to mind for me. I'm sure others can add to the list.

Restoring any Toronado takes patience, persistance, money (!) and a little luck. But I can speak from experience that it is totally worth it!
Jane G
TOA #042
Membership Director

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Re: What are the hardest parts to find?

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:17 am

I'm going to add the metal part of the dash, that the windshield actually glues to... It's pretty much the only thing keeping my 66 from being driven! D:<
TOA #839

Return to “General Talk”