Come on people!

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: Come on people!

Postby toro_mike » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:27 am

No, not dead at all. I'm not sure why that impression is reached. Toronado.org is updated fairly regularly and we are very active and still growing. The magazine has continually been published and is entering its 6th year. You can see all of the magazine covers and table-of-contents at http://www.toronado.org/Newsletters/Newsletters.htm. The magazine has been great over the years and continues to have excellent stories and technical features.

We also have get-togethers around the country, in association with the ROA and its regional coordinators. These are always posted on the Toronado.org homepage. We've had meets in Houston, Tennessee (ROA SE Regional), Hershey (ROA 2010 Meet), Sacramento (ROA 2009 Meet) and upcoming ones in Florida and Branson (ROA 2011 Meet). We are working on having more local get-togethers of just TOA members but need the help (and initiative) of our membership.

I will be implementing a new forum tree where people can post businesses they've worked with for parts, reviews and comments for each generation in several catagories. Look for that soon.

We will continue this thing as long as we have interest and membership participation. You can contact us at membership@toronado.org with any questions or comments for us.

Mike

Jamin1968 wrote:I'm a newbie too - just bought mine so I'm looking for advice/talk/support, whatever. I thought this site had died, most of the posts are old and though I've had 20 people check out my introduction, I know that at least 6 of those were me checking to see if the post was still good.

Additionally, I would join the club as well - but was unsure if the mag was still being published, what kind of valuable info is in there, etc. It will be awhile before the '69 goes to any shows, but are there any get-togethers?

I'm glad I saved my '69 from the crusher of death, but without much support or ideas for parts or suppliers for 69 (seems most are for the 66-67) it's going to be hard to go it alone. I hope there's some life left in here and I'll do my part as a new owner to share where I've scored parts, etc.

btw, as I posted in the need a part forum - uneedapart.com seems to be a good resource for parts nationwide.

- Jeff
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Jamin1968
TOA Membership Number: 893
Years Owned: 1969 Toronado. Bought in fall 2010.

Postby Jamin1968 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:08 am

Good to hear. This will be an exercise in patience - glad to know there's others out here who have/are taking the same road.

- Jeff

toro_mike

Postby toro_mike » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Jamin1968 wrote:Good to hear. This will be an exercise in patience - glad to know there's others out here who have/are taking the same road.

- Jeff

Indeed it is. So, join the club!! 8-)
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:29 am

I am planning on it, but may have to wait until first of year. Thanks!

- Jeff

toro_mike

Postby toro_mike » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Jamin1968 wrote:I am planning on it, but may have to wait until first of year. Thanks!

- Jeff

No problem! We'll be here! :mrgreen:
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

Postby Graniteman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:48 pm

Jeff - Jamin1968; hello and welcome!
I sold my '69 Toronado in about 1977 / 78 to some people in Alliance, Nebraska.
No chance your car came from that area is there?
I used to get around the Casper area fairly often but not for quite a while. Used to live in Scottsbluff and my dad still does.
Be sure and make use of this site, I for one have commited myself to checking it for activity every few days.

Mike
TOA # 70

Jamin1968

Postby Jamin1968 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the welcome! Not sure, everything so far says it's from Casper most or all of its life. Haven't totally researched the VIN though. Wherever its from, it was pretty dry plus the owners undercoated it so really no rust.

I do plan on using the site - I'm quickly figuring out the challenges of this car - not running yet, but everything seems to work including all power windows, power seat and that old annoying key in the ignition buzzer!

Know Scottsbluff a bit, through work I get to Torrington fairly often so I'll go over there between meetings to check it out. Glad to meet you!

- Jeff

toro_mike

Postby toro_mike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Graniteman wrote:Be sure and make use of this site, I for one have commited myself to checking it for activity every few days.

Mike

Great to hear Mike! I check it every day if I can. We all need a resource, so we put one up. Hopefully it continues to grow.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Return to “General Talk”