Hello from Germany!

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Hello from Germany!

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Are the European type sealed beam? Maybe the difference is the light pattern?

I replaced all 4 of my '66 Toro's lights with brand new Wagner halogen lights. They are a vast improvement over the original T3 style that were installed when I bought the car.

I have Sylvania halogen lights on my '79 Ford pickup and in my 1956 Cadillac. They are excellent.

When you finish installing the new lamps, be sure to properly aim them or you won't be able to see anything.

Jelonek
Years Owned: 1

Postby Jelonek » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

Hallo Otto,
yes.... you are right! the lights patter ist in EU the problem, without a new one, i can´t get a drivingpapers.... couse of sefty :lol: ... but in US drive every day o milions people with this lights and you have not a milions accedent per day :lol: :evil:

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm

Are the correct Euro-spec lights available for your car? Are they still sealed beam units or do they incorporate a replaceable bulb of some kind?

Sealed beam headlights have been in use in the USA since 1939. I find them to be superior to a lot of modern headlights in many ways.

The sealed beam halogens in my '56 Cadillac for example, project very far and create a wide field of illumination. No danger that I will "overdrive" my headlights.

They're also made out of glass instead of plastic so they will never get that hazy, cloudy look that new car lights get aftewr just a year or two on the road.

They cost about $10 to $15 each instead of hundreds in some cases.

They have a pleasing yellow glow instead of that annoying blue or blinding bright white light that irritates oncoming drivers.

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Postby Eightballz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:45 pm

its not about accidents happening because you have sealed beams. its about the possibility that something may hit the headlight (small stones, gravel) and penetrate the glass and then your headlight isnt working anymore.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason sealed beams aren't used anymore. Every single vehicle I've ever owned has had glass, sealed beam headlights. Never once has one broken. They're nearly impossible to break even if you try.

Eightballz
TOA Membership Number: 826
Years Owned: 1970 Olds Toronado GT

Postby Eightballz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason sealed beams aren't used anymore. Every single vehicle I've ever owned has had glass, sealed beam headlights. Never once has one broken. They're nearly impossible to break even if you try.

yeah thats true..that glass is hard to break...but you know..german regulations are always kinda.."special" :lol:

for example, you are also not allowed to have red turn signals on your car :roll: (though it is possible for some production years)

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:39 am

Jelonak, what's the deal with the lights you're required to use? Are they glass sealed beams with different lens pattern? Are they plastic? Do they have replaceable elements behind the lens like modern cars?

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:37 am

In the US, I think car makers lobbied to remove the Federal law requiring the use of sealed beams so that they could use modern plastic designs in their vehicle styling as long as they still met the light output of sealed beams. They weren't outlawed or anything.

Current GMC and Chevy vans still use old style square sealed beam headlights. I think base model ford vans do as well.

Jelonek
Years Owned: 1

Postby Jelonek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi,
the reason für another lights is a very simple, see the picture ist not symetrical like in US, and this is not only german regulation but in all Europe,
new lights are original the same like in 1966 but with bulb ..screws put down ... new headlins inside and averything made finish.. 30min :|
the regulation is very simple, mechanical not like in modern cars ... you know that
red laps are allowed in every cars before 1970... after that you need a new one,
and the tires muss have s.c. DOT-signs !!!! very iportent,
we have "H"-plates .... "historical" , if the car ist older than 30 years and so about 90% original you can get after a spacial examination :mrgreen: a h-plates, the car is a part of a history of carindustry..., lower insurance and you car drive in every "enviromet-zones) - thats a very importent!!! in Europe,
ciao! Jelonek
Attachments
95a7b9bbe82ae200787eee3d019ead4b.jpg
europincars-ligts, asymetrical....
95a7b9bbe82ae200787eee3d019ead4b.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 64474 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Yes, I've never seen a light pattern like that.

You sure have a lot of regulations to put up with. Here you can pretty much drive anything that runs on the street. In Georgia we don't have safety inspections or anything like that.

Return to “General Talk”