Toronado with Attitude?

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Dracofrost
TOA Membership Number: 737

Toronado with Attitude?

Postby Dracofrost » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Does anybody have the pic talked about at http://www.toronado.org/FAQ/GenI/tires.htm that was described as a "66' Toro with an attitude"?

69W34

Re: Toronado with Attitude?

Postby 69W34 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 pm

I have seen the page about the 255/60's some time ago ..... was posted 12 years ago in 97, the after market wheel companies have come alooooong way since then, thanks in part to cad systems and customer demand. The key of course is to maintain wheel center line with the front bearing, any departure from this or any design profile opens the door to whom knows what..

If one chooses to use the over all diameter of a 235/75-15 tire (what ever that happens to be) they could theoretically put any size 16-17-18 or 20 inch wheels and tires on any car as long as the over all base line dimension is maintained. The relation ship between tire surface and side wall would would adjust accordingly, though at some point a given tire may require a wider wheel that's when it gets complicated i.e. center lines, offsets and wheel well clearances.

Something important to remember ... the front wheel bearing of the Toro is 2.5" to 3" long and maybe 3" in diameter with with a 1" shaft going through it, the running surfaces or (race) are what 5/16 to 3/8's thick this would make the needle bearings what 1.25. These dimension of course are 'guesstimates' as i have never had one apart. My guess is that needle bearings are much smaller. All of this is fine with straight line running, add low profile tires, hard turning, off set wheels and you've got a recipe maintenance issues

Incidentally railroad cars have employed the this type of bearing and have for years beginning late 60's early 70's give or take so they are tough but have there limitations.
Bill
TOA #1

tadmin
Site Admin

Re: Toronado with Attitude?

Postby tadmin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 am

Dracofrost wrote:Does anybody have the pic talked about at http://www.toronado.org/FAQ/GenI/tires.htm that was described as a "66' Toro with an attitude"?

I haven't seen any pictures, if they even still exist.

These FAQ's are the original ones from the old Toronado.net site and have not been updated for the most part, with the notable exception of Rafael and me adding a bunch of '66 vacuum hose routing diagrams.

It may be a worthy project to go back and completely update them, but time constraints have prevented this from happening currently.

Mike
Forum Administrator

Return to “General Talk”