Toronado Resto-Mod?????

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
sharkeymark
TOA Membership Number: 675

Re: Toronado Resto-Mod?????

Postby sharkeymark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:40 pm

I am a chrome monger I never would have painted it and I have been known to chrome an
extra part or 2. A totally chrome Toronado, oh man I'd be in heaven.

stuartlarman
TOA Membership Number: 235
Years Owned: 4

Postby stuartlarman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:12 am

I too think the 66/67 toronado needs more sportiness; so I sectioned my 66 by 10 inches (shortened it by cutting out a central slice) and revised the front fenders/ bumper to further shorten the car. its far from done but thought you should all know that people are doing creative things with these fantastically designed cars. they made thousands of toros; there are enough around to allow for any kind of modifications...anyone do a convertible? stuart
DSCN3149.JPG
DSCN3149.JPG (234.11 KiB) Viewed 22529 times

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Wow, that toro looks like its been compacted, lol, not my tastes, but interesting...

As far as a apoiler goes, I could see one from an early charger/challenger/roadrunner on a toro...
TOA #839

Hasty
TOA Membership Number: 765
Years Owned: 1970 Toronado GT

Postby Hasty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:17 pm

Toronado wasn't built for "sporty". Although the 66-70 Toros are certainly more sporty than the later Toronados (which started to look more and more like an Eldorado), Toronado was not intended to be a sports car. That crowd left the dealership with a Cutlass, likely a 442.

I, for one, think Jay Leno was an idiot for converting a Toronado to rear-drive. It's like buying a can of red paint and spending thousands of dollars to make it white. However, I respect and admire anyone that works on old cars, fixes them, drives them, loves them, in any form, even if they do things to it that I wouldn't do.

If you have a passion for cars, and a vision of what your Toronado should look like, go for it!
St. Cloud, MN
1970 Toronado GT
TOA #765

toro68
TOA Membership Number: 102
Years Owned: 1968 Toronado, silver owned since Dec1986/Jan 1987 to present
1968 W-34 Toronado (totaled 3/9/03), blue, owned since August 1994
1968 W-34 Torondo, gold, loaded with many rare options, owned since 2003
1968 W-34 Toronado, red, bought in Nov/Dec of 2005, Was Lot#609 for Barrett-Jackson auction, March of 2005 . Firdst two "owners", was GM employees. I'm still in contact with Bob B. (OLds Zone Rep for North CArolina, retired 1992).

I aslos have a white 1985 Buick Riveria, that I would like to trade for another Toronado, or an old Ford pick-up truck.

Postby toro68 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Hasty wrote:Toronado wasn't built for "sporty". Although the 66-70 Toros are certainly more sporty than the later Toronados (which started to look more and more like an Eldorado), Toronado was not intended to be a sports car. That crowd left the dealership with a Cutlass, likely a 442.

I, for one, think Jay Leno was an idiot for converting a Toronado to rear-drive. It's like buying a can of red paint and spending thousands of dollars to make it white. However, I respect and admire anyone that works on old cars, fixes them, drives them, loves them, in any form, even if they do things to it that I wouldn't do.

If you have a passion for cars, and a vision of what your Toronado should look like, go for it!

Jay Leno would of impressed me , if he did a four wheel drive Toronado,a motor in the front and one in the back.

Twilight Fenrir
TOA Membership Number: 839
Years Owned: 1982 Chevrolet El Camino
1986 Pontiac Fiero
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado

Postby Twilight Fenrir » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 pm

You know, I think theres a difference between a sporty car, and a muscle car. I think the 66 has more of the latter, than the former. Id like to make an already mean looking car and maybe add a few things to coliment it to those ends. The Toro isn't a sports car, but the argument could be made that it is a muscle car. Musclecar (the show) did a piece on it, and classified it as a musclecar as well.

Well, thats my opinion anyway
TOA #839

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:43 am

In the Sporty discussion I prefer to look at these wonderful cars as Gentlemen's Muscle Cars or Luxury Sport GT cars. They are definitely sporty for the time; in reading the journals and other notes during development it was very clear they wanted a refined, powerful and sporty feel to a large personal luxury car. Not a Corvette, but sporty nonetheless.

That is my take. YMMV. ;)
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Postby roland » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 am

Thirty years ago I drove a nice 67 Toro, red with full options. At that time I thought often about a more sporty looking. My favorite at these days were to customised the Toro´s rear end with a spoiler like Pontiac´s TransAM or Chevrolet´s Camaro Z28.
I believe that the second generation of Firebird and Camaro was inspired by the 66/67 Toronados. Theire backs are too identical for a chance.
Also with my mind was to use the front fender side louvres of the 72 GTO...

So then - may be an idea for a customised Toro - in that days I were younger.

Today I wouldn't change anything on these nice machines.

Roland #860
Roland TOA#860

roland
TOA Membership Number: 860
Years Owned: 1967 Oldsmobile Toronado DeLuxe
1970 Ford LTD Country Squire 429

Postby roland » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:36 am

It´s an old thread, I know, but even interesting today.
I found this rendering picture of a GM designer idea to give the Toronado a sporty look. And it confirmed my presumption 10 years ago. Second generation firebirds and camaros rear end must be inspired by toronado design.

Roland TOA#860

Return to “General Talk”