First Generation Toronado Advice

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
jaiello21
TOA Membership Number: 0

First Generation Toronado Advice

Postby jaiello21 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jared, I am new to Toronado's in general and the forum here. I am a younger guy who is a proclaimed Cadillac enthusiast (don't shoot :D ) and am considering adding a first generation Toronado to my classic car stable. I currently own a 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille d'Elegance with 6,000 original miles and have fallen in love with it. My father and I have always admired Toronado's, particularly the first generation and stumbled open an all original '69 recently that is on Hemmings.com. The link is attached below to view, but the car is a completely original 1 family owned car with all documentation from day one including the invoice. It has 50k miles, and is finished in Autumn Gold with a Gold leather interior. Quite nicely optioned with Comfortronic A/C, rear defog, 6 way pwr. seat, tilt/telesc., chrome wheels, disc brakes and a few other accessories. The seller wants $21k and the A/C is inoperative (owner is not sure what the issue, hasn't bothered pursuing) and it needs a new sensor for gas gauge which he has. Also, the "rocket" appliqué/label on the engine appears to be missing. My question to everyone here is- How collectable are the later model year first-gen Toronado's ('68/'69) vs. the early model years ('66/'67)? I like the idea of an early car because the styling is stunning, but also can appreciate the '68/9 models with their new grille(s), hidden headlights, and upgraded powertrain. According to Hagerty, the values for later models (except for 1970) are rather similar to earlier model years. Does this figure hold true in the actual market for these cars? The price for this '69 seems to be fair *if* Hagerty is accurate. Are there advantages to buying a later model vs. an earlier one or is it simply subjective? I apologize for being such a novice, however most of my knowledge lies with Cadillac's. I am excited to learn more about Toronado's and it seems that all of the members here are quite helpful and friendly. Thank you in advance for your help! I am thrilled to be here :D

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... 76885.html

brian66toro

Re: First Generation Toronado Advice

Postby brian66toro » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Jarred,

Small world. This is Brian Rachlin. I own a 66 Toronado and for me, if you are going to spend that kind of money, I'd try to buy a 66.
These guys can tell you more than me about the pricing, but that car seems a little high to me.
The styling of the 66 blew my mind when these cars were new and still does today.

Happy hunting!

Brian

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:43 am

In my opinion that price is high. It's obviously based primarily on the fact that it's a one owner car. For that kind of money, though, you'd be better off to by a '66 for less and use part of your savings to make improvements.

I think the '66 in general is more desirable with the possible exception of the W34 option on the later ones.

You should consider that grey '66 for $14,000. It's a Deluxe with all the power options. The front bumper needs to be sent to a shop for straightening and re-chroming. All three pieces will run about $1100 but you'd still come out out $6K ahead of the '69.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 34024.html

I purchased my '66 for $10K 2 years ago. It's true that the value is going up on these 1st gen Toros and I admittedly underpaid for my car but I'd still say that '69 in Hemmings is a $15k car, tops.

I think the others listed there for $24k and $32k, etc. are overpriced. The white '66 for example should be a true 100 point, No. 1 car for that kind of money. It's not. It's missing its underhood insulation, it has an incorrect and worn driver floor mat, incorrect aftermarket a/c and compressor installed with an ugly center console (completely negating the advantage of the unobstructed flat floor of the fwd car), etc.. It's a nice car but it isn't a $32K car. Maybe $15-$20k.

PS: I too am a Cadillac guy. I have a 1956 Coupe De Ville which was my only car for 13 years until I bought the Toronado 2 years ago. Now they share daily driver duties.
Attachments
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03915.JPG (1.77 MiB) Viewed 11393 times
DSC03911.JPG
DSC03911.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 11393 times

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:26 pm

I think this 69 is probably a bargain. I'm not sure that everything is original though. Some the of engine parts don't seem to be painted the right color. I has some reasonably nice options on it.

The 66-67 cars are wonderful too, but the headlamps and brakes in stock form are more problematic on the 66 in general. Toronados are very expensive to restore, so first make sure what you really want, then see what's out there. If you want a Gen I Toro, this 69 really seems like an excellent start to me.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:00 am

Hagerty's valuation tool shows the '69 at about $17k and the Collector Car Market Review shows a number 2 car to be around $12k with a number 1 example at $19k.

Splitting the difference between a number 2 and number 1 car would put this at around $15k.

Ultimately the value is what someone is willing to pay. I'd offer less and see what happens. If your heart is set on this car you can always up your offer.

Return to “General Talk”