More reproduction parts on the way.

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
deaddds
TOA Membership Number: 8
Years Owned: 3 66s, 4 67s, 68, 2 70s, 81, 99

More reproduction parts on the way.

Postby deaddds » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

I almost have the appliqués for 66/67 worked out but have a slight dilemma. The circles cut for some switches are flat and not a problem. The rectangles cut are beveled factory edges but would be flush cut laser if reproduced. My ? is, anyway to get a smattering of input from members in the next week as to would they buy “new” appliqués with correct color and lettering without the detail of the bevel, or would that be “incorrect” and not wanted? The plan is to make every available configuration for these appliqués in both 66 and 67 lettering. Apparently a press mold would be required to make the tiny bevels at a cost of several thousand to be dead on accurate and I can’t see investing this amount but hate to get in to over a K already if Toro owners would snub them. Thanks for any input. Also, 66/67 parking lenses will be ready for Homecoming. These are made using NOS lens and will be sold in sets. Tooling and materials have gone up substantially since the cornering lenses. As you know, these outers are clear but are painted silver in the recessed bumper area. This will be a very limited run to gauge interest. Cost to be $90 a set or $100 if I apply paint. Basically $45 a lens and while I do not have the proto in my hands yet, I expect they will be indistinguishable from GM. True NOS seem to be going for roughly double a set if you can find them. Lastly, I will have a limited set of 68 back up lens made from NOS samples. These will run $75 a set. Place an order with a check to ensure a copy or there may not be any after Lansing. Shipping not included but will be calculated when ready. BTW, I sold out the first run of cornering lens in PA and will probably sell the remaining run at Lansing.

deaddds

Re: More reproduction parts on the way.

Postby deaddds » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 pm

No opinions at all? Heck, at least give me negative. :)

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Postby toro_mike » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:24 pm

deaddds wrote:No opinions at all? Heck, at least give me negative. :)

I'd love to but I don't have a 66 or 67! :lol:

I know the TOA board has offered their opinions over email, but I am surprised nobody else responded!
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Stubbe
TOA Membership Number: 173

Postby Stubbe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 am

do you have pictures?
Mike AKA Stubbe

TOA 173
1966 Deluxe

deaddds

Postby deaddds » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Pictures of what exactly? I'm still trying to get feedback if guys would bother upgrading with making the appliques or not. The lenses are self explanatory.

Toro1966
TOA Membership Number: 163

Postby Toro1966 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:20 pm

I can say that I would be interested in a set. Will you be making them standard, or to order based on a particular cars options?

en-gedi
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967-1970

Postby en-gedi » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Any repro part that is practical, functional, and looks decent is OK by me. However I seem to be in the minority around here. I am the guy who posted the "restomod question" and most seem to likes things the way they are rather than the way they could be. At some point keeping a 40+ year old car on the road that is not particularly desirable by the masses (at the moment anyway) is going to involve some compromises.

deaddds

Postby deaddds » Wed May 12, 2010 9:14 pm

I plan on starting with 100 sets at about 60% 66 40% 67. Out of these will make a little of all types possible. Probably will concentrate on full options as most restorers may just want the look and not have the functioning systems yet. I was hoping guys would post what opts there cars have to point me in a direction. I just got a sample and while it looks good great in terms of fit and surface, its about 4X the thickness of a real one. The guy measured the fattest part of the bevel and used that stock. He's cutting another closer to the flimsey side. Personally I think the thick one is best in terms of being able to later remove it and put on another car without possibly bending it but my hunch is guys would freak at the thought of it being thicker.

misercola
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado -- purchased in July 2014 and a 1960 Olds Super 88 Convertible in 2008.

Postby misercola » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:49 pm

I would take a set for my 66 if you have made the reproductions. PM me.

Mark

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am

I actually talked about this with Darwin Falk. Turns out 66 and 67 had some differences even though they look the same. For example, if you car is equipped with the rear defroster unit, the lettering says Rear Defroster for one year, then it was changed to Rear Defogger the next year. Also, there are various combinations depending on what options you have on your car. So you'd have to probably just make and sell the most common ones, whatever that is. Probably cars without the rear defroster and without cruise control.

I can refinish the ones on my car. The problem I'm having is I can't find the correct font for the lettering. Do you know what the font style is called? It might be something that Olds came up with on their own for all I know. Unless your originals are severely damaged, they can be removed and restored.

If you're going to make new laser cut aluminum panels, the outside edges around the panel are also beveled, not just the rectangular cutouts for the rocker switches. You'd have to go to a lot of trouble to make a die press for reproducing just a few hundred to sell over many years. The typical problem with restoring these cars.

If you have a spare instrument panel, and cut the aluminum panels the appropriate amount more around the edges and smaller for the rocker switch cutouts, you might be able to use a simple tool and press these beveled edges out using the instrument panel as a pattern guide. The instrument panel has a trough around the place where the aluminum panel goes. That and the rocker switch cutouts help locate the panel exactly how it is supposed to be seated on the panel. That might work.

Return to “General Talk”