1969 questions

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
handsomened
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: Own 1969

1969 questions

Postby handsomened » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:59 pm

New here, I have a 1969 that I have neglected long enough.
It's time to get her back on the road.

Engine is out and nearly finished rebuild, but have misplaced the torque converter
Wanted to do a disc brake conversion. Read an article many years ago that said the disc brake system from a 1983 Eldorado was a bolt on system and picked up all the parts from the junk yard but can't find the article anymore. Does anyone have it?

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: 1969 questions

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:36 pm

Disc brake conversion is a waste of time and money. The drums are perfectly adequate for the kind of driving you will be doing. You aren't auto crossing it on the weekends, are you?

Contrary to popular belief, disc brakes do not stop a car any faster (shorter distance) than drums. They6 just don't overheat as quickly as drums. Unless you are jamming on the brakes in hard stops repeatedly in intervals of less than a minute, you will not experience brake fade.

Set up your drums correctly and make sure they are adjusted properly and they will stop the car just fine for normal driving.

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Otto is correct. Also, you would have to get the correct wheels for your car if you switch to disc. Not worth the money and effort needed. Just restore drum brakes properly.

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:49 pm

I think the many conversions, including GM's inclusion of disk brakes in the later MY's would refute the claims that drums are the best option.
If you intend to drive this car on the street daily or hard, consider the conversion. If its going to be a fair weather car that just heads to cruise nights don't bother...

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:17 am

If you had a choice when you bought the car new, discs would be the best option.

Converting the car from drums to discs is a colossal waste of time, money and effort. As stated previously, disc brakes (on any car, not just first gen Toros) do not decrease stopping distance. The only advantage discs have over drums is a greater resistance to brake fade under severe braking conditions.

How often does one slam on the brakes of a collector car at high speed in rapid succession? If one plans to auto cross or rally the car on a track, then by all means install discs. For pleasure driving you don't need them.

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:01 am

Otto et al,

You forget the most important thing of all - discs look far better than drums in my (worthless) opinion therefore they are worth whatever effort is required! :geek:

I plan to do my disc brakes when I get around to designing and building the IRS to replace that pathetic afterthought of a rear suspension design...

Every time I want to hoon around a corner I think of the car snapping those leafs and heading sideways... :shock: These cars can really handle if you know how to drive them but the side load is more than I am comfortable with given the ancient springs. I also want better behavior on bumpy roads. The discs will be an obvious upgrade at that time.

BTW - for the OP - my understanding is that the disc brakes come from the 1978 Eldo which is of a size comparable to our cars. The later cars were much smaller and lighter. Not sure how compatible the brakes are, they may fit, but my set are from a 78 Eldo.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:20 am

You're a nut Gecko.

I suppose if you're bombing around at the car's performance limits then go with discs. Me? I'll take advantage of the rapid acceleration but I'm not hauling ass everywhere I go.

Looks? You can't even see them with the wheel design. Also, me sense of symmetry would be disrupted if I didn't see the same drum through the holes on all four wheels!

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am

I do go bombing around a bit and could use the performance on the road given where I live here in the Cascades. It is not unusual to have several miles of downhill...

As for seeing the discs, actually, you can see more of them than you might think if you have Chrome wheels.

You definitely will be able to see them when I get around to having a set of custom wheels made at MHT...

http://www.mhtwheels.com/

I already tried to put aluminum calipers on the front but they still did not quite fit our wheels even though they are a direct replacement for the existing calipers. They fit the slides and all but apparently bulge a bit more. Never quite felt comfortable with the amount of material I removed from the one caliper I tried to mount so plan to wait until I can get the new wheels...

and yes, I am a nut. A very squirrely nut indeed... :shock: :ugeek: :lol:

victor_olalde30

Postby victor_olalde30 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:47 pm

Anyone know if. Ignition lock cylinder
Problems mine don't turn over like stuck
How can fix. O r need put a new one

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:33 am

This is why I plan to develop an IRS for the Toro. The leaf springs and live axle detract from the handling and I am paranoid about the possibility of losing the whole thing if I corner hard enough.

I also have access to Art Morrison's Chassis Shop if I can afford it, so the possibility of a really well engineered solution is not out of the question. I also want to allow for the possibility of an electric motor in there... maybe from a Tesla. I know, Otto, I am nuts. That is a given! :lol:

Return to “General Talk”