My old Toronado is up for sale again, buy the new owner

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
dcalhoun38581
TOA Membership Number: 1138
Years Owned: 1967
I have one, but it's needs exceed my abilities and I'm putting it up for sale on EBay.

My old Toronado is up for sale again, buy the new owner

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:43 pm

In reference to my post entitled:
Impulse buying = BAD idea = bailing out time has come

It seems the man that bought if from me for $4,000 has decided to sell it (a 1967 Deluxe) and another parts car (a 1966). He has them listed on EBay for a starting bid of $8,000 with Reserve not met. Here's a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-Toro ... 1754763592

A word for the wise: The claim that it is a "Rust free car" is not completely true. One of the main reasons I decided to sell it is that there are four or five rusty places hidden under the vinyl roof and several blistered areas around the trunk, doors and quarter panels. The main ones of concern are two places in the roof that are rust all the way through to the interior.

However, the two cars together, for someone with the means that I don't have, COULD make one really NICE ride!
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: My old Toronado is up for sale again, buy the new owner

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 am

Hi DC. Thanks for the heads up. Have you seen the other '66 toros on ebay lately? The prices are rising (or at least some of the sellers think they are).

dcalhoun38581
TOA Membership Number: 1138
Years Owned: 1967
I have one, but it's needs exceed my abilities and I'm putting it up for sale on EBay.

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Yeah, so the sellers think. It seems the buyers don't agree, in some ways.

The Toros that have been fully restored OR are low mileage garage kept originals ARE bringing more money, but not those that Need restored.

My old '67 Toro that just failed to sell is such an example, sad to say. The current owner, Earnest Mullen, seems to be a good and honest man. I hope he finds a buyer that's willing to truly RESTORE the car, not just fix up mechanical things like he had done.

I would have loved to do so myself, but I just don't have the means. :(
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 am

DC, I used to look at cars and think to myself, "it only needs _______(fill in the blank), I can do that myself." etc. I eventually discovered that I had more cars that needed all kinds of different things to make them right but I had no time, desire, or money to do all the things that needed doing.

I prefer driving cars to restoring them. So, I decided to sell all my projects (all were usable as-is but needed either cosmetic repairs or minor mechanical repairs) and take the money and buy one good car that I could use and enjoy while making necessary improvements while still using the car.

That's when I sold my '66 Mustang, '68 Camaro, '56 F100, and '72 Monte Carlo.

I used the money to buy my 1956 Coupe de Ville and that became my only car for 13 years until I bought the Toronado last year.

Any future cars I buy will be the best examples I can afford - no more cars that are perfect except for the paint or that need "minor" mechanical work , etc.

Driving them is a lot more fun for me than restoring them or planning to restore them.

By the way, when I said the Cadillac was my only car for 13 years, it was my only car. I didn't and don't own a modern car of any kind. The Cadillac and Toronado split the duty now.

Return to “General Talk”