Could we one day see an ELECTRIC Toronado?

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
rosscampbell
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 - two times

Could we one day see an ELECTRIC Toronado?

Postby rosscampbell » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:24 pm

This video shows a 68/69 Toronado in the beginning (28 seconds) in the parking lot, and this would be the company to make an electric Toronado, if anyone would...

Meet the Zombie 222, an electric 1968 Mustang: 0-60 MPH time of 1.94 seconds...
That's not a typo... 1.94 seconds!

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/17/tran ... 68-mustang

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Could we one day see an ELECTRIC Toronado?

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 am

I am seriously contemplating allowing room for a Tesla motor when I design my IRS setup. I live near Art Morrison here in the Tacoma area so once I have the funds I plan to work with him on a design. I suspect it will not be that hard to design in room for a Tesla motor, and then it is just a matter of calling up Elon to see if he is into a fun project... 8-) :lol: ;) :ugeek:
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:22 am

Here's a better idea, buy the cars that Chekov is selling on this forum and make an electric one out of them. Keep yours more or less original.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1676

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:47 am

Mine is already so modded that it is pretty far from original and I like it that way. If I do a 66 it will be original, so my current car is my driver/experiment vehicle.

It is as much the challenge of design engineering as anything - assuming I ever get around to it. I hate the current rear suspension design with a passion so I have a fair motivation; funds and time are more the problem at the moment but I expect that to change over the coming years.

I will keep you all posted if and when I do this...
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “General Talk”