Post your MPG!

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.

Post your average MPG

Under 8MPG
No votes
8-10MPG
No votes
10-12MPG
33%
12-14MPG
No votes
14-16MPG
No votes
16-18MPG
33%
Over 18MPG
33%

Total votes: 3

Mikel
TOA Membership Number: 100

Post your MPG!

Postby Mikel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm always puzzled when I hear people getting fuel economy numbers in first generation Toronados in the high teens and low twenties.

I've had several engines and transmissions in my '66 and I've never gotten past 15MPG, more commonly in the 12MPG range. I wonder what everyone else is getting.

Please don't post your best numbers or what you get when hypermiling doing 45MPH on the highway... What is the average fuel economy you are getting when driving normally?

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Post your MPG!

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:02 am

1966 Toro, all stock.

My last fill up showed 11.15 mpg. That's pretty typical for me and includes a mixture of city and highway driving.

The best I've achieved is 13.xx on a steady 50mph or so drive.

This seems to be in line with what the car got brand new according to the literature. I have a Road & Track article from 1966 and those guys drove from Detroit to LA or something like that and their best mileage was 14.xx I think. Their average was 12.xx.

My mileage is with the horrible deathanol available here in Atlanta. I imagine a steady diet of real fuel would improve my numbers by one or two mpg which would be a 10-20% increase. Ethanol contains 20% less stored energy than oil.

My '56 Cadillac regularly gets 15 -18 mpg on the freeway at average speeds of 75mph. That car was made for high speed cruising and the sweet spot for fuel economy is between 70 and 80 mph.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Does the poll work for anyone? I can't enter my vote.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:44 pm

I did it but I couldn't tell if it registered. Are we supposed to be able to see the results?

Just noticed that it said the submitted form was invalid. Whatever that means.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Same here. Just post your numbers here.

I want to see if I am the only one who gets MPG in the low teens.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Do you think your numbers are too low or do you think they're higher than average?

Low teens, like 13mpg, sounds about right. Any more than that on a regular basis would make me suspicious that the person's odometer is not recording properly - like using larger diameter tires than stock.

Do you use ethanol tainted fuel or pure gasoline?

rosscampbell
Years Owned: 1966 - two times

Postby rosscampbell » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 pm

I drove a 1966 as my primary car for a number of years, and I think my MPG ranged from about 9 to 13. If I had to guess at an average MPG, I'd say 11.5 sounds about right.

Also, I was a teenager, gas was relatively cheap, and I liked going fast. I never drove it like I was trying to maximize my fuel economy :)

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Otto Skorzeny wrote:Do you think your numbers are too low or do you think they're higher than average?

I think my 10-13MPG numbers are average, we just don't hear from the "silent majority" as often :lol:

Every single magazine review I have from that era shows average MPG in the low teens for 1st generation Toronados.

Only ethanol crap in CT :(

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:05 am

I recently went from around 11 mpg while sucking mass quantities of oil from my PCV back to what I recall from when I was a kid with a highly tuned motor. I now must be exceeding 15 MPG given the cruises I do and how often I fill it up. I plan to do a proper test once I get the Water Injection installed.

Keep in mind I have EFI which probably contributes to my MPG. If I keep the throttle on only the first blade pair that are in effect the primaries I suspect I get amazing mileage given the circumstances. I have done a few 40+ mile drives and used something on the order of 1/8th of a tank or so. That suggests my mileage is approaching 20 mpg when driving in a relaxed cruise mode on back roads which average around 45 -55 mph typically. I can do this on the primaries, and if I stay away from the secondaries mileage is just amazing these days.

I have a pretty aggressive roller cam and a 12" SWP Torque Converter on the 3:08 gearing so this is very good mileage indeed. In some respects I am not that surprised as I always managed good mileage on Olds motors when I was a kid as long as they were well tuned and had a Q-jet with the tiny primaries. This is not that different a setup when you get right down to it with respect to staying away from the secondaries.

All I know is that I can cruise a lot farther with a lot fewer trips to the pump since I installed the PCV catch can. I plan to see if I can manage to baffle the Offenhauser valve covers to help reduce the outflow.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “General Talk”