California Plates

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Gator
TOA Membership Number: 1139
Years Owned: 1970 Toronado Custom

California Plates

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Any California DMV experts out there?

It's sort of a good news/bad news thing:

Good news: I have the original plates on my Toro. They're in serviceable shape.

Bad news: When I acquired my Toro, I had to also obtain new California plates. This is because the previous owner didn't keep up with vehicle registration between 1991 and 2014. The car basically dropped out of the CA DMV database. I was TOLD at the time, that I could transfer the old plates back to the car when the paperwork was completed on getting the car back into the database.

My internet research since then has told me that I can only do this with black/yellow plates from 1969 and earlier. I have the blue/yellow plates from between 1969 through 1976.

Can anyone provide any insight based on their experience? I want to ensure I have as much info as possible before going.

Also, in terms of value, is it preferred to recondition the plates or keep them as-is with the original patina?
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: California Plates

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Here's what I came up with. It looks like Kalifornia screws you at 1969. 1970 and newer are out of luck.

In Georgia we're allowed to use any Georgia plate with the year of manufacture on cars 25 years or older. I even have friends who've had reproduction Georgia plates made and got them legally registered (granted they didn't tell anybody they weren't authentic state issued plates but who would know anyway?):

Year of Manufacture license plates. This law expands the “Year of Manufacture” license plate program to authorize the owner of a automobile, motorcycle or trailer that is a 1969 or older model year vehicle, or the owner of a commercial vehicle or pickup truck that is 1972 or older model year, to utilize Year of Manufacture license plates, and would increase the original application fee from $35 to $45. The $10 annual renewal fee, $20 plate retention fee, and $12 plate transfer fee remain the same.

The new law would require the inclusion of two active license plate series into the Year of Manufacture program:

Black background with yellow characters – issued 1963 - 1969;
Blue background with yellow characters – issued 1970 - 1990.
To qualify for use, plate configuration cannot have a current record on DMV files. The year sticker displayed on the plates must coincide with the year model of the vehicle being registered with the exception of 1963 year model vehicles.

Black and gold plates without a year sticker can be used for 1963 vehicles as no validating year stickers were issued in 1963. Plates for 1964 through 1972 must be presented with a sticker that matches the year model of the vehicle the plates will be used on. For example, a 1966 Chevy Nomad Wagon will require that a set of black and yellow plates with a 1966 sticker issued by DMV in that year be presented for use.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Sadly, that's my take, too. YOM program for autos stops at 1969.

I'm sure they're the original plates because of the following:

1) They are steel (Aluminum started in '76 or '77)
2) The plates are 6 characters (7 characters started in the early '80s, not sure of the exact year.)
3) The sequence of the plates is ### AXX. 'A' is the starting series for the plates in 1970. (Actually, the Blue/yellow plates started in Oct 1969.)

That's my research, anyway.
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Read this.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/DMV-Clear-Calif ... 771/g.html

It's quite interesting and probably won't help you but who knows? Maybe just walk in there with your plates, act like you know what you're doing and try to register them. You might get lucky based on this guy's experience with CA DMV.

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:08 pm

His explanation is typical of what I've found elsewhere. I got a look at the form from the DMV. I guess I should have started there. It's pretty clear on what years are applicable. I guess I'll restore the plates I have and use them for shows...assuming I get that far.

Thanks for the info.
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Eric Voigt
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado Deluxe. SoCal since new, original paint and interior. Owned 5 years, bought from second owner who bought it in 1980 till he passed in May of 2013.

Postby Eric Voigt » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:36 am

Actually CA has opened up the Blue/Yellow plates to the "Personalized Plate" similar to the Black/Yellow configuration.

You must have both plates and year of registration of the year of the car you want these on. Hopefully in your case you have some of the original past registrations to match the plates to the car as this help big time. I did this on my 41 Cadillac 60S which had 6 character Blue plates and when the car was sold to person out state he put the plates in the file and when I bought it and brought it back to SoCal, I was able to have the blue plates re-instated as I had the past registrations and plates.

Give it a try.
Eric

Gator

Postby Gator » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Most interesting. I'll have to pursue this option. I have the original sales receipt for the car and a few of the plate registrations between 1976 and 1991.

It's worth a try.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd
1970 Toronado Custom

Return to “General Talk”