Impulse buying = BAD idea = bailing out time has come

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Impulse buying = BAD idea = bailing out time has come

Postby xgecko » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:03 am

I am surprised no one asked about the wheels...

Please let us know what they are. They look nice and appear to fit reasonably well... is that indeed the case?
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:29 am

Gecko, we had an extensive discussion about the wheels in a different thread. It became apparent that they did not have the correct backspacing.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1515&hilit=boyd+coddington

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:52 am

I wondered... it was too obvious. Thanks for letting me know as I have been away for some time. Life happens while we are busy making other plans...

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Personally I don't understand the desire some have to put different wheels on their Toros. I think the factory wheels with the beauty rim and dog dish center look great. They're similar to the Chevrolet/Corvette rally wheels which I also think are some of the best looking wheels out there.

Even the correct aftermarket rims by Western and that other company don't look as nice as the factory design.

At least Olds didn't screw them up the way Cadillac did. The Eldo had those horrible hubcaps with the trapezoidal slots that didn't even line up with the round holes in the wheels. For GM's top of the line car they are a disgrace.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I actually want lower profile tires and Wilwood aluminum two piston calipers... so I need new wheels.

I am probably going to end up having them made as I see no other way. I am lucky to have chrome wheels now.

Return to “General Talk”