For those who are restoring their car...

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
MikeB
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966

For those who are restoring their car...

Postby MikeB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:35 pm

What do you plan on doing with your car once done? Drive it, show it, keep in a collection or sell it.
I was looking for the best car I could find for a driver. What I got was a car too nice to drive.
My car has about 7500 original miles on it and has everything restored that needed it. Now I don't want to drive it because of the miles or getting it dirty where I can't clean it.
It is so clean that I think I would be mad if I had to drive through a mud puddle.
I enjoy tinkering with things but now everything works.
Since the car has been finished I trailered it to two car shows and received first place both times. I don't think I am a car show person. Waiting around for days while people look at your car can get tiring.

So what are you going to do with your restored car?
Mike.

NRGF
TOA Membership Number: 40
Years Owned: 1969

Re: For those who are restoring their car...

Postby NRGF » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:30 am

Drive it, enjoy it, then sooner or later you will have something to fix.

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:21 am

Drive the hell out of it!

No car is too nice to drive - that's what they're for. I've never understood how anyone could own a car and just drive it to shows or put it on and off a trailer.

Besides what are you saving it for, so someone else can drive it and enjoy it after you're dead? Screw that!

I've been driving a 1956 Cadillac as my only car for 13 years. It was only this February that I decided to try this new-fangled, front wheel drive I've been hearing about and bought my '66 Toronado.

Everywhere I go people tell me they're too nice to drive on Atlanta streets, etc. but I'm careful and haven't had anybody hit me yet. I drive the Cadillac on 1000+ mile vacations every year. These cars are not just for running local errands on Sunday, they are the only cars I own.
Attachments
DSCN0279.JPG
DSCN0279.JPG (365.87 KiB) Viewed 19859 times
DSC03912.JPG
DSC03912.JPG (438.9 KiB) Viewed 19860 times
DriveInvasionCad.jpg
DriveInvasionCad.jpg (530.48 KiB) Viewed 19860 times

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:43 am

I agree with you about car shows. I virtually never take my cars to shows because every time I get behind the wheel it's a car show of one. By that I mean I get so much enjoyment from driving my cars all the time that parking it in a field for others to gawk at seems pointless to me.

I suppose if one only drives a car to shows then the show becomes an excuse or reason to drive the car. I look forward to driving my cars every day for any reason, not just a special occasion.

dcalhoun38581
TOA Membership Number: 1138
Years Owned: 1967
I have one, but it's needs exceed my abilities and I'm putting it up for sale on EBay.

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 pm

I couldn't agree MORE, Otto! There's only real fun to be had if one DRIVES a great car and doesn't JUST trailer it and showing it. NO car is TOO great to DRIVE! :D We only live just so long. Enjoy it while you can!
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:01 am

That beige one is pretty nice, Mike. I've never seen that color on a '66 Toro before.

MikeB

Postby MikeB » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:04 pm

I have only seen one other, and it is on eBay now. A car in Florida that has green interior.

I've said I would never want a show car, because I think it's a waste to have a car you can't drive.
But I don't want a rock chip, a door ding or dirt behind the chrome that happens when drive it.
And the fact that the miles are so low, I think I should try to sell it while it is pristine.

Mike.

MikeB

Postby MikeB » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Picture of bottom.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:37 pm

Just pretend it's 1966 and you just bought it. You'll end up selling it to somebody like me who'll drive it like he stole it. The new guy will have all the enjoyment with it and you did all the work.

Dirt? who cares? I wash my cars all the time and they're never dirty. I don't even take them out if they're dirty. Put it on a lift every month and hose it off if it bothers you that much.

I think you should keep it, drive it, and stop worrying about it.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat May 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi MikeB,

So what did you decide to do? Are you driving the car? Looking at it in your garage? Or did you dell it?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Return to “General Talk”