These Boyd Coddington wheels that I cannot find ONE more of.

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
dcalhoun38581
TOA Membership Number: 1138
Years Owned: 1967
I have one, but it's needs exceed my abilities and I'm putting it up for sale on EBay.

These Boyd Coddington wheels that I cannot find ONE more of.

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 pm

If anyone has any info of any sort on these wheels (shown in the attached pic) please let me know. I know that were made several years ago, while Boyd was still alive and running his wheel business, but I cannot find ONE of them ANYWHERE. I'm interested in finding out the true worth of these and maybe buying one or two IF I can FIND them.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (125.86 KiB) Viewed 22325 times
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: These Boyd Coddington wheels that I cannot find ONE more

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:13 am

I'm curious about those Boyd Coddington wheels. Are you sure those were meant for a Toronado/ Eldorado application?

By that I mean Toro and Eldo wheels have a specific offset for the FWD which makes them unique which is why you rarely see non stock wheels on either car.

From the photo it looks like the tires stick out beyond the fender well. Just wondering if you know that those wheels were made for the Toro/Eldo or if someone just stuck them on?

dcalhoun38581
I have one, but it's needs exceed my abilities and I'm putting it up for sale on EBay.

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:49 pm

I just bought this car a few months ago and the wheels were already on it when I got it, so I can't be sure if they were really designed for use on a Toronado or Eldorado or not. The tires don't stick out past the fenders on the front, but they do on the rear, but not by much. With that said, it may be true that they were not designed for use on a Toronado. That is a third reason that I hope to find some detailed info about these wheels somewhere. So far, my searches are not producing any useful leads.
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:07 pm

..... one must be careful about running anything other than Toro wheels as it will trash the bearings, it up sets (moves) the weight and dynamic thrusts out and off the center-line so much depending on the wheel it could be completely off of the bearing and trouble will be literally around the next corner.
Bill
TOA #1

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Right. As Bill points out, the offset of the wheel is what centers the wheel in the correct position relative to the hub assembly/wheel bearing, etc.

I would take one of them to a place that sells custom wheels and has some knowledge about various wheel designs and ask them to measure the offset of that rim. Compare that to the factory spec wheel.

A buddy of mine with knowledge in this area said that he's aware of only three after market makers of wheels specifically designed for the Toro and Eldo. Those would be Appliance, Western, and a Texas company that made some in low volume production.

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:10 pm

I was hoping that the wheel specs were on the TOA page but no luck.

Does anyone here have the specifications for the factory wheels? Specifically the offset?

dcalhoun38581

Postby dcalhoun38581 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:58 pm

I've taken this as close to the source as anyone possibly can.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
I will post what I learn asap.
--
Dennis D. Calhoun
AKA Grasshopper

bluecab
Years Owned: restoring a '66, have Moto Guzzi motorcycles, an Audi convertible and a bunch of other junk

Postby bluecab » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:33 pm

The notes I have on stock '66 wheels are 6 x 15 with a 6.50 backspace. Not sure where those numbers came from tho

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:47 pm

These are the GM specs posted by that Toro wheel expert in one of the links.

Bolt Pattern 5 on 5"
Width 6 inches
Offset +3.25 inches
Backspacing 6.75 inches
Load Rating 1600 pounds

Next time I'm in the trunk I'm going to measure the back space to see if it's 6.5 or 6.75 just to satisfy my curiosity.

Return to “General Talk”