Newbie here

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
jmart
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1967 looking

Newbie here

Postby jmart » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:57 pm

I am looking for a 60s car. I have some mechanical skills, but do not want a project. A nice looking 1967 Toronado is for sale. These intrigued me when they came out and now I am thinking seriously about getting it. Are there any areas I should pay attention to?

Thanks
Jim

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Re: Newbie here

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:58 pm

There aren't any really different things to look for on the Toro than you would look for on any car of this era.

Since it's FWD, check the front axle boots for leaks or holes, etc. Make sure there aren't any clicking and clacking noises during sharp turns.

How many miles? Timing gears lose their Teflon coating and the flakes can clog the oil pump.

Check the fuel lines. I'd put a clear, inline filter under the hood before the line enters the fuel pump.

If it has a vinyl roof, look for bubbles or soft spots. That would be rust underneath it.

toro_mike
TOA Membership Number: 4
Years Owned: 1968 and 1969 W34

Re: Newbie here

Postby toro_mike » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Check the drain tubes in the trunk... They love to get clogged and/or rot out causing rust in the trunk, especially on the right and left wells/spare tire well where water and junk likes to collect.
Mike
TOA #004, Webmaster
Forum Administrator
1968 Toronado
1969 W34 Toronado

Return to “General Talk”