Serpentine Belt Conversion

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Serpentine Belt Conversion

Postby xgecko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:09 am

It looks like I may have to hold off on the B&M shifter. :( The fixed throw of the cable is not easily matched to the shift lever on the transmission - complicated by the lack of a full straight path for mounting due to the part of the housing required for the drive chain (link-belt, if you prefer) getting in the way.

I will need to spend some time determining what angle and what bracket configuration will work and I need to get the motor back into the car by next weekend (not the upcoming weekend).

I have a friend that has a TH-425 Switch Pitch I will be trading a cam and lifters for so can use that as the development mule while the current trans is in the car.

The price of bleeding edge modifications to a car that is not very common. While we have many benefits of not having a Chevelle, Mustang or Camaro, we do pay a price in other ways. I was watching a car show last night where a guy bought a '68 Camaro for $12,500. My car was in far better condition when I bought it for $3,250. I can live with the issues that arise from an uncommon car.

Especially when I see the reaction of people when the not only see a Toronado only to realize it is also a Hot Rod. Priceless indeed! 8-)
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:52 am

This says it all:

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:50 am

Hello new wallpaper!
Thanks for the pic, that really looks awesome
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:07 am

One of the most cool features - pun intended - is that the AC compressor is much shorter than the original as well as drawing only 3HP vs the 12HP that the original unit required. I found this out when I asked about the idle kickup feature my EFI has; they told me I don't need it.

Once I get the AC Condenser installed I will know how well this new kit runs. I am really looking forward to the improvement!

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 am

Holy crap, xgecko, that looks incredible! Tell me more about the a/c compressor - I have the original Harrison unit that worked great when I started my resto but is obviously an R12 unit (ugh). Also, any mods needed for the power steering pump or anything else to know to do the serpentine belt set-up? Finally, what intake manifold is that under your MSD EFI? Thanks in advance - inquiring minds need to know! :shock:
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Greg,

That is a Sanden AC unit that came with the Serpentine kit. By purchasing it along with the Cold Aire Products kit I got 10% off both. That amounts to roughly $300 so it is a good deal.

My kit has a remote reservoir steering pump so keep that in mind.

I used the Rockwell aluminum Toronado intake under the Atomic EFI. You can get one at Mondello or Applied GMC.

I am on my way out to go camping so feel free to ask anything else you want but keep in mind I will be back next week.

Checkov
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Checkov » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

Haha
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.11 KiB) Viewed 17794 times

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:27 am

You really have no idea...

It took something like 6 or 7 tries to get the correct belt if you include the initial tests with Gates belts and my choice to settle on Gatorback belts...

UV520

Postby UV520 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:50 am

Hello Xgecko,

Any update on your serpentine belt setup?

I have not found anything yet. But I am doing more searches on this forum.

Thank you, Tony

Otto Skorzeny
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Tony, you might want to send Gecko a PM or email. I haven't seen him post here for a while.

Return to “General Talk”