Serpentine Belt Conversion

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Serpentine Belt Conversion

Postby xgecko » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:47 am

Well, I decided that the rainy weekend is a good time to replace the Torque Converter with the 12" unit I purchased late last year. This will stop the burning of my Trans fluid and in general improve drivability at low speeds. Commensurate with this operation which requires me to pull the engine I decided it was time to go with the March Performance Style Track Serpentine Belt Conversion Kit:

http://www.marchperformance.com/styletrack_olds.html

It includes the AC Compressor I need for the Cold Air systems Hurricane AC unit I purchased at the same time (got a 10% discount as a result of packaging it all together!). I plan to put the AC unit in the front of the new console I am building while the car is off the road again; if all goes well I will have AC for the summer!

I am also adding the Snow Performance Water/Methanol injection system to eliminate the detonation I cannot get rid of. Apparently my cam and piston combination result in higher effective compression than we calculated so I have had to keep the max timing down around 30 degrees to eliminate detonation - even then it will ping if I get on it too much or load it down too much. I know from past experience that the Water/Methanol injection will control this and allow me to advance my timing at least to 34 or 36 degrees.

I will also have a chance to fabricate the bracket I need to finish the Console Shifter upgrade. I went with a B&M Hammer Shifter however there are no brackets for our transmission so I have to fabricate my own. There are a couple of bolts on the trans belt cover that I can use just like the stock shifter would use so hopefully it is pretty easy to make.

I am looking forward to seeing the expressions when I open the hood. I already get a major jaw drop, now it will simply bowl them over. I may have to put a disclaimer on there somewhere... :shock: :o :lol: 8-)
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Re: Serpentine Belt Conversion

Postby gmrocket » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:59 am

It's official...you're out of control! LOL...
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:51 am

I am indeed. I like my Toronado to be a Hot Rod Toro, and I am making it so. I have seen enough Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs and assorted common cars to have a strong drive to be different. Very different... :twisted:

The looks I get as I idle past people are priceless. The jaw drop effect I get when people see under the hood is beyond priceless. ( and this is only going to get better...)

The sound of the monster V8 as I cruise is wonderful.

Knowing that I did pretty much all of the work is a feeling that cannot be described.

In all, my car is very much a form of therapy that adds much to my life.

So, yes, I am out of control! :o :shock: :lol: 8-) and I love every moment of it! 8-)

:ugeek:

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:55 am

Does xgecko mean you used to work on Wall Street? Or did you used to work for that insurance company?

I'm pretty sure you didn't used to be a lizard.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:05 am

You are correct that I was never a lizard... ;)

It means I once had a Grandis Day Gecko...

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am

He's cute. It looks like he's shedding his skin in that picture.

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:11 am

I was noticing that as I put the pic up. Sharp eyes!

He died shortly after travelling across the country from the East Coast when I moved out here in early '01. He literally died in my hand. He was indeed cute but not much of a pet as you could not really hold him or anything. Fun to watch, though. He used to sit next to my desk as I worked.

Thus the xgecko handle... :)

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am

:(

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks. His name was Kramer after the much loathed Kramer from Seinfeld - yet the strange thing is I cannot stand the show but for some reason the name seemed apt even though he had no resemblance in any way aside from being a lizard... :shock: :P

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:47 am

That belt conversion looks great, I can't wait to see it in your car.
I guess I need another Toronado, I love the Modern hardware on our cars, but I can't bring myself to change the radio or electronic ignition, so I'm sure a belt swap is out on mine.

EFI 455, serp belt, electric fans, modern AC, 4 wheel discs, boyds lightweight custom wheels and 17 inch rubber, maybe the leather interior out of a bravada... Keep feeding me pics please!
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Return to “General Talk”