An unusual piece of Toronado history.

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
66Toro
TOA Membership Number: 0

An unusual piece of Toronado history.

Postby 66Toro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Have been enamored by the '66 lines - appreciating the seeing her sleek and sexy lines and hearing the deep growl as she pulled into the driveway way back when. Since I was a 5 year old kid - was a perfect height seeing 6 feet of a chromed grill and the flip up headlights at eye level.

WOW!!!

Back in '66 - didn't see anything like her until '68 when my neighbor pulled in with a new '68 Stingray. Was too young and ignorant to know that the cars were mechanical cousins from the same family - GM. All I knew was recalling similar features they had -both shared big block engines with massive carbs, dual exhaust, and those sexy flip up headlights. As if someone shrunk the Toronado.

Here is where I uncovered another common aspect joining these cars in their past within the book written by Dave McLellan (Corvette Chief Engineer '75-'92) entitled 'Corvette from the Inside'. Dave recounted the early development and mechanical aspects of the early prototypes in the late 1960's with the previous Corvette Engineer; Zora ArKus Duntov. Duntov was trying to develop a race-inspired Corvette with a big block configuration and four-wheel drive. During this development - he used the Toronado drive-train as a foundation and modified to accomodate an additional rear driveshaft. (pg. 61-62).

Shan
TOA Membership Number: 0

Re: An unusual piece of Toronado history.

Postby Shan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:56 am

Back in '66 - didn't see anything like her until '68 when my neighbor pulled in with a new '68 Stingray. Was too young and ignorant to know that the cars were mechanical cousins from the same family - GM. All I knew was recalling similar features they had -both shared big block engines with massive carbs, dual exhaust, and those sexy flip up headlights. As if someone shrunk the Toronado.
Whether you want to pass Braindumps exams or looking for Dean College certification, our Youtube can provide guaranteed success in real exam of University of California, San Francisco Good Luck.

Return to “General Talk”