Input Requested: '67 Resto Personalization

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Re: Input Requested: '67 Resto Personalization

Postby Doc Hubler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm

I mostly agree with Bluecab, but not on the "plenty of show quality cars out there." That isn't true. most of these Toros are far from show quality. You can play the semantics game if you like, but in a judged event, there are few of these cars out there that will be high scoring cars. Generally, most of these cars are restored with average paint jobs and upholstery to freshen them up. What is required mechanically is done or altered to more modern standard. The ugly rust sisters are kept in the back room so to speak (meaning the trunk areas, rear rockers, front windshield, and rear seat floor pans) are rarely addressed in anything but a superficial way. There are a few very good completely original examples out there, but very few. For the first 5 years of production (Gen I), I think there were less than 140,000 made total. relatively few compared to other cars of this category and vintage.

But you should do with your car what you want. It's your property and your vision that you want to impart, so whatever you do it fine. You asked for some opinions and have them and can decide yourself.

Bluecab is right that a stock care will hold value much better than one that is customized. Eventually, one never knows exactly what they've got once it's been altered.

gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:55 am

Thanks Bluecab and Doc - for me, it's truly not about resale or anything like that. I've owned the car since '95 and am the second owner. I'm so deeply buried in this thing that I could care less what, if anything, I ever get back out of it. I simply love the car, its lines, its engineering and its innovation. Anything I can do to enhance any or all of that without detracting from the car is my goal.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

TOA Membership Number: 895
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado owned for 2 yr

Postby 762 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Like you, I am also customizing my 66 Toro while maintaining all of the classic Toronado elements.

I've posted a project of mine which you may find interesting. A dual snorkel cold air intake in place of the original air cleaner.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1484

I've done some other, subtle changes to my car as well. Removed the antenna, door handles and chrome trim except around the windows. Removed the AC compressor, vacuum chamber and headlight cylinders which were replaced with electronic actuators.

Also am having some brackets fabricated that will allow me to put modern AutoMeter gauges in the dash, but that is still in development. If it looks as good as I think it will, I'll share the templates with anyone who wants them.

I have no interest in resale value. No one ever gets their money out of a project like this anyway. these things I'm doing for me and if no one shares my vision, that's ok too. I do it because I love it.

Return to “General Talk”