Input Requested: '67 Resto Personalization

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
gmrocket
TOA Membership Number: 880
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Input Requested: '67 Resto Personalization

Postby gmrocket » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Folks,

I'm beginning the reassembly phase of the restoration to my '67 Deluxe. This is a bit long to paint the picture of where I'm thinking.

While it'll be mostly stock, there are liberties I'm taking to personalize it. For example, I chromed a set of original valve covers (I kept the true painted originals if I ever want to switch back), I chromed the air-cleaner lid (same story - I have the original), billet Pertronix distributor, chrome althernator, I'm going to do redline tires and am actually leaning toward a double redline for something different, I'm putting K-50 decals with the engine specs on the valve covers, I'm doing the T-Bird/Cougar sequential rear turnsignals, etc. There are other things planned, like EFI and possibly a bucket-seat interior made to look like original, but not now.

The car was originally Sauterne with a black vinyl top and black cloth/vinyl interior. The exterior was repainted in '95 just before I bought it in a version of Garnet Red, which remained before the restoration. While I was really close to sticking with Garnet Red, in the end I decided to go with black with the black vinyl top and either a black or dark red leather interior.

I'm considering replacing my fender mounted original manual radio antenna with a rear quarter-panel power unit aka the T-birds, the Chrysler Turbine Car and other cars of the era. I did this on two GM A-body cars I had back in the day and always got great compliments. Thoughts on this idea or any of the others I shared, OR any other cool ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

69W34

Re: Input Requested: '67 Resto Personalization

Postby 69W34 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:19 pm

....here is my .02 personalization is just that personalization, you are excepting that the car is no longer stock, and shouldn't be represented as such, moreover it would be subject to point deductions in competition if entered in anything other than modified.
Oooookay that said Olds may have been playing with the idea of a rear mounted power antenna, which personally I think it would have been extremely cool. Here's the evidence: the first 66 Toro often referred to as Job 1, its body plate has a 'T' in the second group of letters. The A, B and C bodies that also have a 'T' in the second letter group in each case they are sporting a rear power antenna, it is though the only Toro with the 'T' so there is no other reference point from which to build / bolster the possibility.
In the interest of full dis-closer there is information out side of the Olds division, though there is just not enough info to expand hence muddy the water ..... but I stand by my original assessment of power antenna.
Bill
TOA #1

Otto Skorzeny
TOA Membership Number: 0
Years Owned: 1966 Toronado

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:51 am

Personally, if I were going to all the trouble that you are to remove the original, ugly antenna, I wouldn't sully the body with another one anywhere.

I'd use a powerful hidden antenna

gmrocket
Years Owned: 1967 Toronado Deluxe - owned this car since 1995 and am the second owner. Sadly it was cosmetically gorgeous but mechanically and electrically a mess when I got it. It was a feature car at the 1997 Olds Centennial but still wasn't running right then until Sparky Kalkhoff and I swapped out the wrong cam for the correct original. Everything electrical was repaired over the years until the point where the cosmetics became a mess. It's now undergoing its second restoration with lots of new metal to address years of rot courtesy of its Northeast PA roots.

Postby gmrocket » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:40 am

Bill/Otto,

Thanks for the quick thoughts. Both ideas have great merits:

1. The rear antenna would just plain look cool IMHO; Bill, I'm aware of the Job 1 "prototype" and somewhere I found pics that helped bolster the idea for me that it would look good.

2. Otto, the idea of NO antenna is one I hadn't considered...interesting idea. Since I'm going to have the radio redone with the original look but with all new guts (name of the company escapes me the moment), I'm sure a hidden antenna would be fine with the newer radio.

Much to consider - thanks guys!
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Doc Hubler
TOA Membership Number: 992
Years Owned: 1967

Postby Doc Hubler » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:25 am

I agree with Bill on his main points. Here is my perspective on a couple items.

Why bother with the vinyl top? Get rid of it and paint it all black. They are more a pain to install and maintain than you'll ever get back in terms of compliments. I am installing the vinyl top back on mine. The contrast with the body color, and the fact that the car originally had the vinyl top makes it worthwhile doing since I'm doing that type of restoration. You're altering a number of things, so why not simplify a little as well?

On the antenna, I'm not sure how well a hidden antenna works versus the standard aerial. In my opinion, given the lines of the car, an antenna on the rear quarters really would look awkward on a Gen 1 Toro (maybe 69-70 with more squared up rear end would be ok). On the other hand, I don't like the power antennas that all the manufacturers were using then. Perhaps save some effort on the vinyl roof and put more effort into installation of an antenna that is flush with the body, but in the same position (that would be my opinion). That 3" or so that they stick up above the fender when fully closed really bugs the crap out of me personally. And if you want to use a cover on your car, more annoyance.

You're set on the all the chrome under the hood, and it's fine. For me personally, all that is just overdone. The car is a muscle car without having to try and pretend like so many of these other customs you see these days. Really, when you're using the Toro the way it should be used, means driving it, no one will see any of that anyway, so save yourself the money (but sounds like you already spent the money on this).

Ok, have fun!

gmrocket

Postby gmrocket » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:55 am

Good stuff to consider Doc - thanks a bunch! FWIW, my wife wants me to lose the vinyl top too...I was mixed on the idea since the car DID come with it and the car I'm basing my redo on has one and it looked good. Ugh, decisions, decisions. :)
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 am

Losing the antenna cleans up the car.

I'm excited to see how your car comes together. Vinyl tops are visually interesting and less common than ever. hmm.

Keep feeding us pics and we will keep sharing our thoughts, deal?
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

gmrocket

Postby gmrocket » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks Cutly - all the suggestions have me thinking no vinyl top and maybe even shaving the door handles to clean it up even more. Hmmm... :D

Here's the car before the resto (about 10 years ago - a great 30 foot car):
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 18414 times
Gregg L
TOA #880
'67 Deluxe

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Looks good with white letters. Maybe when my white walls wear out I'll put some of those on.

I'd go with no vinyl top too. It's cheaper, easier, no chance of rust, and just my personal preference.

Since you aren't going for originality, I'd do what you like best if I were you. It's your car and you have to do it the way that gives you the most enjoyment. I never enter any of my cars in judged shows because frankly, I have no interest in what other people's opinions are of my cars. The only opinion that matters is mine (in this case, yours)

That said, don't shave those door handles! :lol:

Otto Skorzeny

Postby Otto Skorzeny » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Just an observation regarding the vinyl top:

In my opinion, a vinyl top on the '66/'67 models runs counter to the whole styling of the car. The design was meant to have the top flow down into the quarter panel uninterrupted by body lines or trim to create a sleek, smooth look.

In the later models, Olds made a definite distinction between the top and the quarter panels by adding body lines which pushed the sail panel (C-pillar) slightly inboard just like most other cars of the day.

I think the vinyl top on '66/'67 models, which places an artificial division between the top and quarter panel, defeats this unique styling feature which makes these models stand apart from the others.

Return to “General Talk”