Season work is in progress - albeit rather late...

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Season work is in progress - albeit rather late...

Postby xgecko » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:15 am

I finally managed to get started on my winter upgrades. This year I am replacing the manual window mechanisms with power window regulators. I originally planned to use one of those aftermarket upgrade kits that convert existing manual crank windows to power windows but it turned out to be too difficult to do right. I ended up scavenging my parts car and a couple of boneyards but now I have smoothly working windows in place! All that is left is the wiring.

I also added aftermarket electric locks with a remote trigger. That went quite well after an initial bit of time engineering the solution. I did not use their hookup method which involved a little clamp device that fit over the existing rods as I was concerned that the set screws would eventually loosen and the system would stop working. I chose to drill out the rivet that holds the pivot mechanism together and replace it with a screw to which I added an eyebolt welded to another eyebolt. That provided a shaft drive mechanism that will not slide or break. I also had to upgrade the motors due to the heft of the old style mechanism. Once complete it opens and closes the locks with authority!

Next up is the seat frame for the new Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats I picked up a few months ago. Once they are properly mounted I will be installing the B&M Hammer shifter I purchased. This will be built into a new console I will need to design.

Once all that is done I will need to install the dynamat and new rug and button it all up.

Then it is on to the engine bay where I need to pull the motor and install the 12" switch pitch torque converter. I will take this time to swap the final drive and transmission pans with aluminum units from AppliedGMC as well as install the new bumper and electric headlight cover actuator. Once the engine is back in place the Water/Methanol injection will be installed and I should be good to go!

Mid June is looking likely at this time...
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Re: Season work is in progress - albeit rather late...

Postby xgecko » Tue May 27, 2014 5:04 pm

I got the car off the stands and on the road for a short cruise last night! One immediate bug - the passenger window switch did not work. I suspect it must have become disconnected.

New seats are not as comfortable as I had hoped. I will have to have them redesigned when I have them reupholstered; the key feature is the integrated shoulder belt so I am not too bothered. I planned to have them redone in nice leather anyway so it is just a matter of finding a shop out here that can redesign the cushioning.

It is sooo nice to have power windows again! No more having to pull over and stretch across the seat to roll up or down the passenger side windows!

The Dynamat really quieted it down and made the engine sound much better as it eliminated the noise from the pipes under my feet. This always sounded tinny, and now all I hear is that wonderful rumble from the back. The new carpet from Fusick looks fantastic!

Now I need to wait for a rainy weekend so I can pull the motor and swap out the torque converter and design a bracket for the B&M Shifter cable. Then I have to install the Water/Methanol injection and some other items.

I also need to begin work on a center console. I plan to design a modern 'waterfall' style stack with room for a 10" tablet I hope to use as a GPS among other things.

In the meantime I can cruise on nice days and work on it on rainy days.

Looking forward to a much longer driving season that I have had in the last two years!
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

Return to “General Talk”