My '66 VIN = equipment..................

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
Graniteman
TOA Membership Number: 70
Years Owned: Owned a '69 back in about '77, this cat was a legend in the Nebraska panhandle, it was very fast even for it's size. It would absoloutly fog the front tires from a standing start; I don't mean spin them, I mean just boil 'em from a standing start for at least 100' (measured)! I know what you're thinking, they weren't old rag tires they were modern Yokohoma radials. I'm sure this car would have ran 150mph too because many times I had the cruise set on 135 with 1/2 the gas pedal left. BTW this was in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.
I'm finally about to start work on my '66 that I've owned for 10 years. I plan to make sure my '66 425 runs just as strong as my '69 455 did. I hope to be doing some write-ups for the Driver as I go through the '66. I'll be updating it with disc brakes, electric fans (gasp), good stereo system, battery in the trunk etc., etc. as time and money allows.
I also may be building some new wheels with the correct offset, etc.

My '66 VIN = equipment..................

Postby Graniteman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 pm

I was thinking that someone was recording this info for a database/whatever, so since I just came across the info I'll go ahead and post it.

My VIN # is 396876, the car came new from Iowa and I like and am glad of the options or lack there of from the standpoint of less trouble prone stuff ;)

It's a Deluxe and I don't have: cornering lights ----------don't care for the look
power windows ----------you know they'll need work
comfortron----------------same as above
wonderbar radio -------- don't care
power seats --------------gonna' be workin' on them too

The car is black in and out which is just great for me!

It does have .............................just AM radio......................I'll be putting in a modern stereo
the optional flarestat flashers................safety

I wish it had came with chrome wheels :( , but I do have all 4 hubcaps and trim rings but I do need to replace 1 or 2 of the rings.

I don't know all the figures but I'm guessing that it's pretty plain-Jane as far as gen 1 Toros go.

Well that's all that comes to mind at the moment, got it posted FWIW :D

Mike

Anybody have 1 or 2 trim rings you'd part with?
TOA # 70

DrK
TOA Membership Number: 321

Re: My '66 VIN = equipment..................

Postby DrK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:50 am

Call me the last defender of Comfortron on the planet -- LOL ! - but I have never had a problem with my Comfortron in 15 1/2 years since I got my 1970 Toronado GT, save for cleaning a few wire contacts on a relay that had become a bit corroded.

It really is a robust AC system and relatively foolproof once you get your head wrapped around how it works.

But that's neither here nor there -- it sounds like you have a super Toro. Post some pics!

And, yes, you will have an easier time maintaining it -- as you'll never need to replace a power-window motor, as I have, so long as your arm can "motor" the hand-crank :lol:
Greg "Dr K" Kennedy
1970 GT | 1981 | 1987 | 1992 Trofeo | 1997 Aurora

xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:27 am

I am not too comfortable posting my VIN, but I can tell you that my 1969 came without power windows, seats, locks or AC as it has lived in Seattle for all its life prior to my ownership. I plan to rectify these oversights when I can.

No rear defrost, but I do have cornering lights. Given that they are integral to the front bumper in 68 and 69 there is no option regarding looks, but they are interesting to have if you ever drive in the dark - something I work very hard to avoid in this car. No particular reason, I just don't like driving in the dark under any circumstances and as I have yet to install the electric actuator I have to manually lift the headlight covers. That will change this off-season as will the lack of electric windows and locks.

I have no vinyl roof which I consider a good thing.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

69W34

Postby 69W34 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:27 pm

There is no real mystique with first gen VIN's they will start with 39487 or 39687 followed by 6-7-8-9 or 0, followed then and M then a 5 (66 only) and a 6 on the 67-8's-9's and 70's all followed by their five digit production sequence. I have seen and Deluxe VIN plate an its body on a standard and I am aware of standard VIN on Deluxe. I have a photo VIN plate error and it's correction. Which I will display next years (2-14) meet in Colorado Springs.
Bill
TOA #1

Return to “General Talk”