Finally up and running again!

General discussion forum. Moderated. Keep it clean and nice folks.
xgecko
TOA Membership Number: 831
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Finally up and running again!

Postby xgecko » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:35 am

After my engine mishap last August - almost exactly one year ago now - I am back on the road with a few updates in addition to the newly rebuilt engine.

First a nice pic:

Highlights include the 230/236 @ .050 Roller Cam which sounds very nice and pulls well above 2,500 RPM and the shop assembled fully balanced and blueprinted motor.

I finally got around to buying a rebuilt Transmission from Manny Troveo - I went with a Switch Pitch unit and that has been very useful due to the aggressive cam I installed. It idles, but it likes the high stall position much more than the low stall position which made the S/P trans well worth it.

I am working with an Engineer at MSD on some issues that arose at low RPM from my choice of Stainless Braided lines for the fuel line. It turns out that there is a known hammering effect that this introduces (the car surges at low engine speeds) and we are trying a new bypass routing that may be a simple solution. I may still have to replace the 12 or so feet of stainless braided line that runs under the car with Aeroquip AQP hose to provide some flex in the line that acts as a damper to the hammering. The first thing we are going to try - after I rerouted the return to comply with the current recommended design that places the regulator after the throttle body - is to Tee off from the loop instead of sending the loop through the throttle body. There is a very real chance this will work, and if so it is simpler than replacing the line under the car. Above all I am very impressed at the willingness of the MSD team to put me in touch with an Engineer. This speaks volumes about their dedication to customer support and really makes me inclined to buy their products again in the future.

Once we get all that sorted I will replace the MSD distributor and resume using the EFI for timing control. I hope to get it done this week if all goes well!

I also had one of my steering boxes rebuilt by Red Head Gears here in Seattle and I cannot say how much that improved things. Much more effort and now I know when I am turning the wheel - previously it was all too easy to drift if you were not paying attention completely.

I also finally managed to get some sort of stereo installed - not a final install, but good enough for now. I was using computer speakers powered by an inverter and using my phone as the audio source, so having an actual car stereo installed with a subwoofer is a big step up. Sound quality is not yet up to my desired level so I will have to revisit this over the winter.

I cleaned up the rats nest of wires that was living on the passenger side inner fenderwall by installing a fuse block over the heater core and routing the fan wires and main power feed under the fender itself. This results in a much cleaner underhood space.

I also went with steel braiding for hose covers or with steel braided hose. It definitely looks much better than it did before.

Finally I splurged for the Offenhauser Cast Aluminum valve covers. This had two purposes - aside from the obvious aesthetic aspect it does vastly improve the seal around the valve cover due to the massively thick flange. My Edelbrock stamped valve covers never sealed well due to flexing of the flange. These new valve covers completely eliminate this resulting in a good seal.

Driving the fully balanced and blueprinted motor is a real pleasure. It will wind out to 5000 RPM effortlessly with no fear of anything breaking. It is smooth at cruise, and sounds fantastic when being spanked - the kid I bought the car from took some videos of me screaming by in second and it just sounded wonderful!

Suffice it to say I am a happy camper indeed. We are taking the car down to Portland Oregon in August for a Covered Bridge Tour with my local car club and I hope to have some nice pics to post.
I have my Fuel Injected Toronado. Life is good! 8-)

NRGF
TOA Membership Number: 40
Years Owned: 1969

Re: Finally up and running again!

Postby NRGF » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Very Impressive indeed.

xgecko
Years Owned: My first Toronado was a 1968 W-34 with the bucket seats and center console... (weeps gently) It was a New England rustbucket in 1982 after less than 14 years. So sad. But it is what infected me and before I knew it I had another '68, a '69, a '70 and eventually inherited a friend's '67 and another friends '73. After buying my brand new Grand Prix in 1988 I retired the last of my Toronados and pulled the 455 I had rebuilt along the way and put it into storage in a friend's barn where it is to this day.
In Mid September of 2010 I happened to see a repeat of the show where Jay Leno did his 66 Toronado and had an instant remission of the disease which resulted in my purchase of a 1969 in very good condition. I am now in the process of fully rehabilitating it and hope to have it on the road in the spring of 2011.

Postby xgecko » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 am

I got the issues with my EFI worked out finally as of this weekend and it is running quite well. It turned out that I had inadvertently left the white Tach wire connection intended for use in non Timing Control applications connected to the tach signal from the MSD 6A box which confused the EFI computer...

I also had an eventful week in that last Sunday a noise that I could not place suddenly became much louder and I traced it to what I thought was the water pump. I replaced the remanufactured stock pump with an Airtex brand new heavy duty pump only to find that the noise did not go away... it turned out to be the pulley on the damper got loose! :o :P

Once that was all tightened back up the car is cruising fantastically and was a joy to drive on Sunday.

We are taking it down to Portland this coming weekend to do a Covered Bridge Tour with the Gig Harbor Cruisers, our local car club of which we are members. It should be a real blast, and will be the first event of its kind I will have done.

TOA Membership Number: 895
Years Owned: 1966 Oldsmobile Toronado owned for 2 yr

Postby 762 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Wow! That looks awesome! Great job on the engine.

Thanks for your helping me get my MSD Atomic dialed in.

I was hoping to get mine completed this year, but it looks like I need a valve job and possibly new rings :(

1977 Cutly
TOA Membership Number: 1059
Years Owned: 1966 Toronados
1977 Cutlass Supreme
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

Postby 1977 Cutly » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:25 am

I've never been to WA before, but if I ever go there it will be to beg for a ride in your car. That and maybe the space needle. Maybe.

I really want to keep my 66 original, but I would love to someday build my Cutlass like your Toronado. I absolutely love it.

Thanks for sharing,
John
1966 Toronado, 1992 5.0 Mustang notchback w/T-56 6spd, TOA #1059
"Aftermarket parts are simply the beginning of a very expensive search for the next weakest link in your drivetrain. You heard that here first." -MKing

xgecko

Postby xgecko » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks, both of you, for the kind comments. It is always nice to hear such things.

I have been driving the car quite extensively over the last couple of months and have now put almost 3,000 miles on the new engine. It is running fantastically, and seems very reliable now that I have it all sorted out.

I have been pondering what it is that makes it so wonderful to drive these machines. Certainly at 11-12 mpg or so I get on the country roads I cruise it is not the wonderful economy! I just love the massive torque delivered with such a sweet sound - no, purr - of the motor at speed, the view over the long, wide hood, the smooth ride and steering, and the looks I get from passersby. I have watched a procession of the cars you see at all the shows go by a group of people that watched with interest only to go nuts when I go by. They just don't see these cars anywhere anymore!

The EFI is running great and I finally got the transmission to shift smoothly enough - still a tad sharp but I can live with it (I just hope the belt can! :shock: ). The Vacuum Modulator with the black and red stripe made a huge difference. It allowed me to shift under most circumstances with a firm transition and only occasionally really gives it much of a whack and even then it is nothing like when I first started driving this setup.

The switch pitch is working nicely now and I have obtained a 12" Torque Converter which will allow the motor to get higher in the power band before it has to do any real work. This should help performance while improving the shift quality at the same time.

Unfortunately I ordered a Netduino microcontroller only to have it die just when I got the development environment installed. I have another on the way and once I have it I will be developing a switch pitch/kickdown controller using data from the EFI and the cruise control I will be installing this winter.

I found this interesting kit (and there are many variations on them):

http://www.amazon.com/COMPLETE-TRUCK-WINDOW-AUTOMATIC-SWITCHES/dp/B003XWEOQS/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380067032&sr=1-5&keywords=power+window+conversion+kit

There are also power lock kits. I would love to eliminate the pull rod that is so easy to use to break in and replace it with electric locks. This kit here will be installed over the winter:

http://www.amazon.com/Central-Conversion-Universal-Locking-System/dp/B00BXKR6RQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1380067137&sr=1-2&keywords=power+lock+conversion+kit

I plan to disassemble the Eldorado rear axle I have and remove the disk brake parts from it. Once I have them off and cleaned up I will do the rear disk conversion outlined in the magazine.

As for seats, I am looking at Chrysler Sebring Convertible seats with the integral shoulder belt. They look comfortable and hopefully will fit well enough. Eventually I will be redoing the interior in leather and will color coordinate everything at that time.

Once I have the seats we are going to build a center console that will rise up to the top of the dash more or less while providing a place to put the modern stereo, GPS Nav unit and Android Tablet. One of the latter will be connected to a backup camera as I can't see where the back of the darn car is! It is as bad as my one ton truck but at least that has a backup camera.

This winter should bring the car up to yet another level of drivability and comfort. I am really looking forward to it!

Return to “General Talk”